How to get eyelights

Hi I am wondering how I can improve my ability to light actors eyes and still achieve dramatic light. If you look at the first minute of my reel http://vimeo.com/24089193 you will see a scene that I believe really needed an eye light. I'd love to hear any tips you have on how I can get that sparkle in an actors eyes without compromising the overall scene lighting. Thanks

It is quite simple all you need is a nice piece of some diffusion of any kind. Use a 100-200w light and Keep it right next to the camera so it does not give off a shadow on the actors.

You can double, triple and keep doubling the diffusion till you get the desire look you want for a contrast ratio. But that will give a nice little sparkle in their eye. I have used a micro Litepanels and just dim it down. Works great!

Guest Ollie Walton

It is quite simple all you need is a nice piece of some diffusion of any kind. Use a 100-200w light and Keep it right next to the camera so it does not give off a shadow on the actors.

You can double, triple and keep doubling the diffusion till you get the desire look you want for a contrast ratio. But that will give a nice little sparkle in their eye. I have used a micro Litepanels and just dim it down. Works great!

I would if your shooting tight. Is get a light maybe a 150w or 300w shine it from above about 2 ft away from actor then use the reflector to bounce it using magic arms or, diffuse it quite low, using various lee filters.

I still think having any kind of light starting with a 300w light and just keep doubling the diffusion till you get what you desire because that is easier to control. But i agree with right above the camera. I forgot to mention that.

• 4 weeks later...