Arri Internship

Hello Everybody,

I will be starting a summer internship at Arri CSC in Secaucus, NJ next week. I would like to have some insight as to what to read up on before going in to work on my first day. I've been brushing up on the Arri cameras. Is there anything in particular I should be studying or practicing that could be helpful for when I start my internship?

I really want to make a great impression.

Thanks guys,

John

johncavafilms.com

• Premium Member

Is there anything in particular I should be studying or practicing that could be helpful for when I start my internship?

I really want to make a great impression.

Reading up is good, as long as you don't turn up and say "oh yeah, I know all about that, I've read the manual..."

As a service tech in a rental house who has seen quite a number of interns pass through, my advice would be:

Turn up on time.

Listen attentively to everything that's explained to you.

Try not to drop stuff (but if you do, own up).

If you're not sure of something, ASK!

Oh yeah, and whatever you do, don't bring a broken camera up to the service department and say: "Hi, this needs to go out on a job in 15 minutes." :ph34r:

I did that internship last summer and it was a very invaluable resource. You don't really need to brush up on anything because you'll be at a pretty entry level position. All you need to do is learn and actually retain the information given to you. A lot of interns come through there and it just doesn't stick; those are the worse. Chris is right, there is a lot of case cleaning, but you'll be rotating each day through different departments.

As far as getting hired afterward, it's not guaranteed, but you'll be at the top of the list to be a prep tech. If they like you of course. It's tough going out to nj that often without any stipend, but if you truly have a passion for film equipment you'll appreciate the opportunity.

Once you leave, you won't find such a nice rental house in NYC, so don't get too used to it. Unless you get lucky and work for some decent budget projects. That was my problem at least.

It can get really hot out there in Secaucus! Have fun at the mall. Tell Laura I said what's up.

-Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Hey John,

I'm starting their training program in the fall, and wonder if you've taken the course. I'd love to work in a camera rental house as it would provide the opportunity to get into AC gigs and other such positions. I spoke to a few NYC rental house owners and was told to do the internship at ARRI and then they'd consider hiring me. How long is your internship going to last? Also, I've been downloading and studying camera manuals (Arri 416, 435, Red One, etc), which is probably a ridiculous thing to do, but it's the only way I can get some familiarity with the camera equipment. I'm wondering if anyone here knows if handling camera equipment is part of the program. John, best of luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a very good way to familiarize yourself. I've been doing the same thing. It's great when you actually get a chance to test out accessories that come back and scratch test magazines.You do get your chance to handle the cameras when there is down time. The summer internship is four months.

• 4 weeks later...