Monitor Suggestion for 5D MK II

David Kappler

I need to get an external monitor for my 5D. I'm not so sure that a $1800 Marshall is warrantd here. I just need to use it to compose, adjust exposure and focus. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

• Premium Member

I need to get an external monitor for my 5D. I'm not so sure that a $1800 Marshall is warrantd here. I just need to use it to compose, adjust exposure and focus. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

http://www.cinema5d....ag=cineroid-evf

This is the best little EVF I've used so far. Has a loop through function for 2nd LCD for focus puller or director. But the 5D changes monitor resolution in record mode so I don't know

if the cineroid would have issues with that, have to check!

• 2 weeks later...

The Liliput and Ikans are popular over at cinema5D forum - look there for better advice. Many many issues arise about splitting an HDMI signal, so dont expect to have a director's monitor or client monitor for cheap.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Grab yourself a 24" TFT of some kind. Check it'll accept the rates the 5D will do, and you're good. Huge, of course, but that has its upsides too. At some point, if you need to see it, you need to see it.

And you can watch TV on it.

P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for this newbee question, but how do you do critical focus with an external monitor? The resolution out of the HDMI port is SD. Thanks and God bless!

I believe the HDMI port on the 5D is 1080 until you hit record - then it scales down to SD - so if you are planning shots rather than run/gun, check focus before you roll.

Also, most small format HDMI monitors are only pumping out about 800x600.

I believe the HDMI port on the 5D is 1080 until you hit record - then it scales down to SD - so if you are planning shots rather than run/gun, check focus before you roll.

Also, most small format HDMI monitors are only pumping out about 800x600.

Yes, I've also heard that it's 1080 until you hit record.

I can plan the shot, mark the follow focus, and shoot the scene. If the subject walks toward the camera, I can check focus in the starting point and ending point where he stops walking. This means that I will have sharp focus at those two points. But how about in between those markers while the subject is walking, how do you get critical focus on that? Is it mere luck? Thanks and God bless!