ACL/Arri B and other adaptors

Gregg MacPherson

Do the ACL/Arri B adaptors normally have locks for the bayonet(s) that will also lock a standard mount lens (like the locks on an SR camera) or do you need a separate adaptor for Arri S lenses? If there are no locks (some photos look like that may be the case) how is the lens held in, friction?

Does anyone have any lens adaptors they want to sell?

ACL/PL

ACL/Arri B

ACL/Arri S (assuming the Arri B adaptor can't lock a standard mount lens).

Cheers

Gregg.

Do the ACL/Arri B adaptors normally have locks for the bayonet(s) that will also lock a standard mount lens (like the locks on an SR camera) or do you need a separate adaptor for Arri S lenses? If there are no locks (some photos look like that may be the case) how is the lens held in, friction?

Does anyone have any lens (mount) adaptors they want to sell?

ACL/PL

ACL/Arri B

Cheers

Gregg.

Sorry, I mean the mount adaptor that screws directly onto the TS mount on the ACL. The people familiar with ACLs probably already assumed I meant that.

Thanks.

Hi Gregg,

The quick answer to that question is that most adapters to mount Arri Bayo lenses don't accept Arri St lenses, but a few do... Mostly Eclair TS mounts for Arri St lenses that were later adapted to also mount Arri B lenses.

So, most likely, you will have to get both kinds (Arri St and Arri Bayo), unless a technician like Les Boscher builds one that does both for you.

The good news is that the ACL's mounting system is so flexible that you have 3 ways to mount Arri (St or Bayo) lenses on your camera :

1. a C-mount to Arri adapter (cheapest, least sturdy/precise), most likely only made for Arri St

2. a CA-mount to Arri lens adapter that fits into the ACL's CA adapter (quite sturdy, but multiplying adapters is not the best idea in terms of accurate flange depth), which were made for either Arri St or Arri Bayo. Look for the copper version of these for an ACL. Don't get the black anodized kind : they do not fit into the ACL CA adpater (or check with the seller that it does), as they were designed for the NPR and Cameflex native CA mount, which is deeper than the ACL's. (As a matter of fact, be aware that not all CA lenses fit into the ACL CA adapter for the same reason!)

3. A proper TS (ACL adapter thread mount) to Arri adapter : the sturdiest and most precise option. Again, most are for either one Arri lens type or the other, but a few are for both.

As for the mounting principle, as far as I can tell, all Arri Bayo adapters work on the principle of friction... which is the principle behind bayonette mounts, no?

Cheers,

Boris

Does anyone have any lens adaptors they want to sell?

ACL/PL

ACL/Arri B

Cheers

Gregg.

As for the mounting principle, as far as I can tell, all Arri Bayo adapters work on the principle of friction... which is the principle behind bayonette mounts, no?

Cheers,

Boris

Hey Boris,

I remember Arri SRs have a lens locking button on either side of the camera body just behind the lens port. I was wondering if the ACL/Arri B adaptors also had something like that. Sounds like some do, some don't? There is an adaptor that has been sitting on eBay for a very long time and it looks like it has nothing on the outer body other than the threaded ring for fixing to the TS mount. I messaged them but got no answer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350416940082&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Gregg.