• Premium Member

Well, not that much, if you're an undergrad and it's your first degree, and if you have the requisite enormously high level exam results and you interview extremely well. The problem is not affording it, it's getting in. They are incredibly selective, and not just academically. There is much controversy at the moment about the interview techniques they use, which seem to rely on your being the child of a very rich person who has spent the last ten years being inculcated with the belief that oneself is handsome and wonderful and a go-getting, bleeding-edge, outside-the-box thinker who gives 110%, but is in fact a bit of a dick who should probably sit down and shut up.

This is why a lot of senior people in the UK are dicks, who should sit down and shut up.

But I think what Freya means is that merely being part of the Oxbridge club gets you into a lot of places. Notice how a huge proportion of current television comedy people are latterly of the Cambridge Footlights. It barely matters what you do there.

As universities what Cambridge and Oxford do is largely the traditional arts and the hard sciences. If you want to do film in the UK you go to one of the dedicated film schools, or possibly Bournemouth, but as I've said on a dozen previous occasions, studying film in the UK is a catastrophic waste of time.

P

So in the UK a degree in film is not enough, it has to be from the "right" university? That's insane.

But does it really matter?

Once you're trained within whatever role you want to focus on and you're actually involved in the production of stuff, it's your work people will be looking at not your education certs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An arm, a leg and your first born apparently. Those 2 are gonna be uber expensive.

As previously suggested by another user Oxbridge don't offer film degrees, indeed many of the 'respected' universities don't as unfortunately film and television are seen as 'soft' subjects. However, it does seem worth nothing that niether of those are 'uber' expensive. In fact, because of the role of state contributions to the running of the UK university system tutition fees are pretty much standardised and much lower than their US equivalent. For instance, I am currently studying for a fee of £3600 a year, luckily I got in before the government fee increase, which is very affordable compared to the $30,000 to $50,000 a year which film schools seem to charge in the US.

many of the 'respected' universities don't as unfortunately film and television are seen as 'soft' subjects.

I'm studying a BSc in broadcast engineering and when I posed interest in a telecommunications position in the Navy I was told all broadcast engineers did was change light bulbs on a stage. I think it's fair to say subjects surrounding television and film are not always as academic as pure STEM courses, but they have their own unique challenges, of which anyone without any experience in either industry are often ignorant towards.

Slightly off topic here but I was wondering did Christopher Nolan learn his craft in the UK or USA?

Seems he learn it at the University of London Film Society, while he was studying English Literature.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2011/feb/24/inception-christopher-nolan-film-oscar-director

I believe he had been making Super 8 films from seven.

Something self starting about those film societies.