Camera Op or DP?

Hello Ladies and Gents,

This is my situation. I recently finished a show that has flipped and I now have enough days to join the union as a camera operator. I don't know how much it costs to join, but I know that I don't have enough contacts to work as a union camera op. If I join the union and continue to pay the quarterly dues, can I still maintain my union status? Also does this help me if I have a producer that wants to hire me as a union DP on an IATSE shoot? Or do I have to be in 600 as a DP for them to hire me as such? Also another reason I am considering joining now is that I have heard that when you upgrade to the next job level, they go at the rate for when you joined. Do you have to pay that full amount, or is it only the difference?

On the other hand I have 100 paid days non union. Does this help me if I try and go the contract services route?

I thank you and appreciate any advice you can give me in advance.

P.

This is my situation. I recently finished a show that has flipped and I now have enough days to join the union as a camera operator. I don't know how much it costs to join, but I know that I don't have enough contacts to work as a union camera op. If I join the union and continue to pay the quarterly dues, can I still maintain my union status?

If you join and pay your dues you will remain a member in good standing. You will not get the health or retirement benefits unless you work a certain number of hours however.

Also does this help me if I have a producer that wants to hire me as a union DP on an IATSE shoot? Or do I have to be in 600 as a DP for them to hire me as such? Also another reason I am considering joining now is that I have heard that when you upgrade to the next job level, they go at the rate for when you joined. Do you have to pay that full amount, or is it only the difference?

I'm not sure the exact details of working up. I believe you are correct however, you only need pay the difference.

On the other hand I have 100 paid days non union. Does this help me if I try and go the contract services route?

Yes, you can use 100 non-union days to join instead of your 30 union days. However, it is a little more complicated as you have to collect a bunch of pay stubs and company letterheads, while using your union days will be very simple as 600 already has that information.

• Premium Member

If you join as an operator, you will be able to work 30 days as a director of photography before you will have to rerate your position in the union and pay the rerate fee.