crop factors with cine lenses?

Devindra Sooknanan

• Premium Member

hey everyone, have canon t2i and a 7d, I know they have a crop factor when using canon ef lenses but i'm curious to know if they has a crop factor when using 35mm cine lenses with a pl or oct19 mount adapter?

thanks

I'm not sure what you are asking -- the focal length is the focal length. The sensor size + the focal length determines the field of view. A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens whether it was made for a cine camera or a still camera, and whether it is on a FF35 camera like a Canon 5D or a APS-C camera like the Canon 7D. Doesn't matter if it is a 50mm Canon EF, Nikon, Panavision Primo, Arri Master Prime, etc. -- it is still a 50mm lens.

You're confusing yourself when you say that the Canons have a crop factor when using Canon EF lenses. The type of lenses aren't causing a crop factor. The sensor size is.

There is only a "crop factor" if you are used to using a FF35 camera and now are using a camera with a smaller sensor like APS-C and need to mentally convert the focal lengths needed to achieve the same fields of view. 35mm cine (Super-35) and APS-C (like in the Canon T2i and 7D) are roughly the same size so focal lengths have similar fields of view on both.

This whole crop factor business just confuses people more than it helps. Just learn that the same focal lengths will give you a wider view on larger sensors, narrower views on smaller sensors. The only other factor to keep in mind is lens coverage / vignetting -- if a lens was designed to cover a smaller sensor, it will likely vignette on a larger sensor.

There is only a "crop factor" if you are used to using a FF35 camera and now are using a camera with a smaller sensor like APS-C and need to mentally convert the focal lengths needed to achieve the same fields of view. 35mm cine (Super-35) and APS-C (like in the Canon T2i and 7D) are roughly the same size so focal lengths have similar fields of view on both.