Cutting Between Focal Lenghts?

Is it true that in order for a cut between focal lenghts to work, there needs to be a considerable different between the frame sizes?

Like a Wide-shot cutting to a slightly Closer-Cut will appear weird whereas a Wide to Close-up will work.

In that case I would have to cut from Master straight to Close-up with same f/stop for the cut to be smooth?

Would the continuity be right though?

I will be shooting a short project soon and I'm a bit nervous of using different focal lenghts.

For Master Id like to use 28mm, Medium 50mm and for Close-ups 75mm. Shooting mostly in a tight space on 7D.

What are the Do's and Dont's of shooting with different focal lenghts?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Youre getting there,

The key thing to keep in mind is to establish the distance between the two actors in the shot. You cant cut from a straight on shot to a close up because it doesnt establish any type of space. Its important to always establish the space in the scene/frame before cutting

Also, the F/stop is important when considering Depth of Field. If you have a wide lens you'll have a deeper DOF, if you have a longer lens youll have a shallower DOF. DOF is important when choosing what type of shot you want, and Ive never seen an establishing shot with a shallow depth of field. You would generally want a deeper DOF for an establishing shot. With close ups, a shallow depth of field isnt a problem.

Remember, long focal length = shallow DOF, shorter focal length = deeper DOF.

Does this make sense?

I think all this depends on the story and what's happening in the drama. For example you could cut to a CU of a character if the story demands that you see them before any location is established because they are the connection, not the location.

If you're going to cut have a reason for the cut, don't just do it because that's the mechanical thing to do. You can do CUs with wide angle lenses, but you must have a reason, usually longer focal lengths are more flattering, which normally makes them the standard choice. There's no rule that says you must use a wide angle lens for the establishing shot, although for interiors it's often more practical, but if it's a long corridor perhaps a longer focal length may be better.

There are standard shot sizes, which you can cut between, your angles will depend on the emotions and drama you wish to convey.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should first visualize the shot, then pick the lens.

Of course, this is one of those "chicken/egg" things, because the more experience you have using different focal lengths, the more you will 'see' what that looks like in your head as you're visualizing your shots.

Do a lot of testing to see what things look like not only at different focal lengths, but also test composition:

A shot with a wide angle lens, of 3 people standing 15 feet away, is not going to look anything at all like a shot with that very same lens, from 3 feet away & at a different angle.

There are even films shot on only one lens! (Bottle Rocket - 25mm).

There is much more to composition than just what focal length you are choosing.

Make the lens serve your idea, not the other way around.

Matt Pacini