Change the depth of field in post?!

Daniel Voshart

I've been fascinated with a new type of camera that uses microlenses, high megapixel sensors and post-processing to allow simultaneous capture in all planes (20+) of depth of field. Thought you guys would enjoy this mind-bender of a lens.

Ren Ng, the lead author behind this 2004-2005 paper has a started a company called Lytro to bring the first consumer camera to market. http://www.lytro.com/picture_gallery

If the idea of changing focus in post isn't mind-blowing enough the same captured image would also allow you to construct 3d images in post.

Personally, I would have called this the dragonfly lens.

-extra links-

Videos of Adobe experimenting with similar technology:

http://comments.deasil.com/2008/02/25/adobes-crazy-depth-of-field-lens/

• 1 month later...

Do a search - its been mentioned here previously - years ago in fact wink.gif

If I recall the footage was of people in a pool - I'd click your links but the net here is too slow for any video today.

I think the issue was and probably still is with the amount of resolution required to pull off the effect - it reduces your image to nothing useful but web based wow fests on youtube etc... But with more and more resolution coming our way in turn you'll see more and more of this becoming a viable tool in both sfx, scientific imaging and in-between jobs like sports cameras and so on.

Also lots of voxel / volumetric based effects on the horizon where the bottle neck is both resolution and processing power/storage (cube factor vs. square factor).

Edited by Chris Millar

Slow connection here too, but aren't MICROLENSES, by their very design, going to be exremely limited in terms of resultion?

Digital this, megapixel that, you are still resolving line pairs per millimeter through glass. I think any technology where the control is taken AWAY from the cinematographer is a bad one. I don't WANT everything I shoot to have DOF like Citizen Kane.

Why is fixing everything in post so alluring anyway? Often times it costs MORE money than just making the decision on set.