great quote from movie

I was watching the special edition DVD for " Dances with Wolves ", the portion about Dean Semler's oscar winning Cinemtography. They interviewed Production Designer Jeffrey Beecroft who quoted a great line;

(About Dean's lighting)..." you can have great sets, but if you don't have great light, you can't see 'em..."....I love this quote, since you also need great actors, great direction and a great story to light too !!!!

Edited by Paul Brenno

I was watching the special edition DVD for " Dances with Wolves ", the portion about Dean Semler's oscar winning Cinemtography. They interviewed Production Designer Jeffrey Beecroft who quoted a great line;

(About Dean's lighting)..." you can have great sets, but if you don't have great light, you can't see 'em..."....I love this quote, since you also need great actors, great direction and a great story to light too !!!!

I like that quote too and DWW is a truly beautiful movie in every respect I can think of.

Been awhile since I've seen "Dances...", but I can remember a shot with Costner on the roof of his hut, clearly(?) done in a studio. He's reading and there's a voice over. Anyone remember this part? I seem to remember that part being cheesy and not too natural. What might have been the cause of this incongruity??

-S

• 2 weeks later...

Scott there are no shots of Kevin on his sod hut reading his journal, except one shot with a butte in the background....that was ALL real locations, nothing was shot in studio or used in front of a green screen....one shot of a buffalo trail was used in matte work, but that was the only one.....