Where do you find inspiration?

Nina Ong

Sometimes it's not about you finding inspiration, it's about inspiration finding you. Good things come to those who wait. It might sound like I'm just spewing babble, but believe me, what I said is true.

Edited by Jordan Seymore

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member

I find it when I'm outside walking around; or watching the light in my kitchen splash off of the floor, or in the coffee shop(s) I haunt, or the bar at 3 pm waiting for a meeting. It comes from everywhere, everything I see outside.

And, of course, from watching movies; taking the bits and pieces which I think will fit for x or y, or even just the "hell, let's try it," moments.

And often, it comes from the people around me, their ideas, the Director's needs, the best way to visually treat the actors-- It's really their film after all, the Directors and the Actor's, I just make my little contribution, my little idea, and try to make sure they get what they want-- or failing that-- the best I can do.

I suspect quite a lot actaully happens when you are asleep, when the brain is sorting out its files and making connections.

I think it's a common phenomenon, I had this realisation when watching that Prometheus clip of Guy Pearce talking about innovation and thinking that ever since the light bulb was invented, there's been this extreme amount of inventions. I remember reading a quote from someone once about staying up and snatching all the good ideas, so I figure maybe there's something about it I can't explain. It might also just be that a lot of people in creative fields suffer from insomnia.

I'm sure the brains doing tonnes of thinking sleeping as well, maybe just another kind. Just yesterday I had a dream I was driving a Ferrari (I had no idea how this happened) and I completely screwed the whole thing and it wouldn't start for the owner, I was genuinely worried about the state of the car til I woke up and was thankful it was a dream. It's fascinatingly strange how they can feel so real even when the situation is so absurd.

• 1 month later...

Knowing that if I don't have the shot setup in time, the Producer will get angry and perhaps not hire me anymore.

So, first I think about all the possibilities... then filter out all of the ones that are too unrealistic given the time and resources available. Then I consider the possibilities left over and which one will look best while considering other potential issues (ie, sound, can I actually get lights and the camera where I need them?, etc.).

It's a wonderful utopian idea to suggest that Camerapeople just "create" and "paint with light" as "artists" but all too often, the logistics drive choices and decisions.