Mission: Impossible – The Ghost Protocol

Trailer. For the 1080p version, hover on the ">HD" button below the video and click "1080p".

At least some of the IMAX shots are immediately recognizable – look at the skyscraper bits near the end. Apparently the rest of the film is anamorphic 35mm.

Unfortunately it looks like it's been graded for the still-trendy-but-getting-really-boring "teal and orange" look. Except in this case they've concentrated mostly on the teal. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Self-Marketing for what? He's an actor. Actor's act.

I'm not denying that. But if you watch his latest movies they seem just to be a showcase for how good Cruise is at doing stunts. Look at me I'm clinging to the windscreen of an SUV, look at me I'm dangling off a perilous cliff face, look at me I'm free falling of this high rise apartment.

Umm, well, it is a Mission: Impossible movie. What do you want him doing, jockeying a desk? I'm pretty sure that Mr. Cruise did NOT do his own stunts off of a building either, unless it involved a less-than ten foot fall.

Guest Matti Poutanen

And saying his latest movies are only about him going through some dangerous stuff is a bit false. On Knight and Day that was true, but the three movies before that: Valkyrie, Tropic Thunder and Lions for Lambs not. And one should never forget Collateral and Magnolia when talking about Tom Cruise acting.

• 3 months later...

No 3D. 25 or 27 minutes of 15/65mm footage, the exact amount depending on who you ask.

Opening next week on 200 IMAX screens a week before the ”regular” premiere – those will be both 15/70mm and digital, so be careful!

It looks like the 15/70mm preview screenings will all include the Dark Knight Rises preview, too. (The link only mentions USA and UK, but it will also be playing at the Kiwi IMAX, so I guess that means all 15/70mm screens globally then.

Edited by Antti Näyhä

Besides being a fun film, I thought the IMAX sequences were really well done, particularly the Dubai skyscraper scene. Is it just me or did some of the IMAX shots have sharpening applied to them? I was surprised to see edge halos on them.

What is the general cost comparison between shooting 65mm and 35mm anamorphic? It is probably a pipe dream to expect an entire feature to be shot in IMAX, but if the non-IMAX scenes were shot on 65mm, there would be less of a a quality difference between IMAX and non-IMAX scenes.

What is the general cost comparison between shooting 65mm and 35mm anamorphic?

Barely any, according to an 70mm-event at the Berlinale 2 years ago, ARRI has a special deal: rent 65mm-equipment but pay 35mm and a agreement with Kodak: same cost for film and processing per foot!

Edited by georg lamshöft