camera rental

sugan reddy

hey guys,

am going to start a camera rental shop in Chennai.am planning to buy professional cameras for mainly short film and feature film making uses.since am an amateur can u pls guide me on what to buy and what to do.i am confused to buy a 5d or 7d or z5 or z7.am gonna buy 3 cams and with any combination of the four.the budget is 5.5 lack and am not sure where i would get the cams at lower costs.and the do tell me abt the extra accessory's i need to buy.kindly help me out.

tanx.

DSLR cameras are very much at the bottom end of the professional market and I suspect anyone planning to make a low budget feature film would now be considering other, better camera rental options. Certainly if you were renting the Sony F3 would be the low budget camera for a feature film, failing that the Sony FS100 or the Panasonic AF100. These cameras don't have the disadvantages of the DSLRs, plus have the option of using an external recorder. For music videos perhaps the DSLRs would make sense, because the budgets are often tight and they're mostly for web or as inserts into TV programs.

Rental is an area where you can lose a lot money and you need to stock the latest gear, plus you need back up equipment.

hey thanx for the reply man.but down here loads of viscom students hire 5d and z5.still if u hav better ideas jus tell me exactly which one to get?i want to buy the latest ones and cheaper the better.u kno the prices??

How much do you want to accessorise these cameras? On their own the DSLRs not really suitable as video cameras, even for students and you can spend as much on the accessories as the cameras. This really depends on how the students use the cameras and if they need a full rig with follow focus etc. Short films and feature films suggest that they'll be doing some serious focus pulling on a 5D.

I'd do some market research and check on what the students will be wanting over the next couple of years, the DSLR fashion has been around for a while, but it may be shifting as the low price large sensor video cameras are now coming out at not too much more than the cost of a kitted out video DSLR.

Prices will vary from country to country.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761578-REG/Sony_NEX_FS100U_NEX_FS100E_Super_35mm_Sensor.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583953-REG/Canon_2764B003_EOS_5D_Mark_II.html

Of course, you'll need to add the accessories onto the 5D just to meet the basic spec of the FS100, which a better video camera unless you're totally obsessed by a razor thin depth of field. You certainly don't have the moire issues of the DSLR cameras.

oh ok so dslrs are out of the list then.so will z5 or z7's do as the fs100 is quite costly and i could only afford two of those with a accessory's of one's:(

It really depends on your market and what it will need over the next couple of years. Is the local market likely to go tapeless for example? Rental companies tend to buy to future demand and those cameras have been around for a couple of years. There's nothing to stop you getting the DSLRs, just cost out the accessories, a low budget is one of the main reason for using them, although perhaps it's getting marginal with the 5D II. I know one rental company that has recently purchased the 5D, but they have also bought a Sony F3. If you've got a good market they should pay for themselves before the any possible large sensor video camera has an impact, however, students tend not to have much money.

As Adrian mentions, grip and lighting equipment has a longer working life than cameras. Certainly tripods should be part of your rentals.