Floor Bag

I know this road has been trodden a million times before, but I'm after a new floor bag. I have a stanley open top bag for lugging round little bits and tools, but I need to upgrade from the tool bag I use at the moment to a more substantial floor bag.

The problem in the UK at the moment is that Panavision and Arri (who both use the same supplier I think) are sold out and there is a four month backlog on orders. Modular 51 charge an offensive amount to ship to the UK and cinebags are also bloody expensive and very hard to find.

I was looking at the Domke f2 but I its only 30cm wide so doesn't really compete in size with the Arri or cinebag.

Anyone in the UK found anything good recently that can be easily collected and isn't going to destroy my fragile bank balance? Lowepro look Ok but are more for camera's than tools and kit, and doesn't have a lot of pockets for stuff like report tins etc.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Rob

• 1 month later...

I have a couple different bags that I keep in my kit...

- Arri medium production bag to keep AKS and such in on the Magliner

- CE Doctor's bag to keep other AKS and less breakable things in, usually stays on the truck

- padded ditty bag, again for the cart, works great with cables and charts and such

- 12" tool bag for slate, report tin, various on-set AKS and tools

- 14" Husky bag for batteries, mags, cards, etc.

Usually don't have all of them on one job unless it's a bigger one. The CE Doctor's and 12" tool bag are my go to bags for every job though.

• 1 year later...

as a 1st i've been shrinking down what i bring to set. basically i'll get some type of husky/ doctor bag that can hold my front box with all my tools in it. I'll let my 2nd deal with all the other bags.

When i'm 2nding however i have either a cinebag or mod 51 bag on the cart and lately have switched to a gals police bag or a 511 tactical bag for my run bag. they're great.

I love this bag. http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Patrol/Patrol-Ready.html

It's separated on the inside into 3 sections. I went ahead and bought some desk organizers from an office store to make them rigid.

Usual set up is like this,

Small square has kimwipes, and filters in it, back has hardmattes, full metal jacket, whip crank, hard tape, front has slate in it.

I use the front outside compartments for air, water bottle, and then i keep gum, altoids, hand sanitizer.

The sides I put other small tools I may need.

There's a nice piece of soft side on the lid, I keep my soft tape attached to that, also extra filter tags.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Rob. One of my first bags was an Arri production bag and from experience using it I have to strongly warn you away from it.
it literally came apart at the seams. The zippers are difficult to close now, its no longer waterproof.

​If you want my advice, pay the extortionately large shipping fee for the modular 51 bag. Seriously.
They make them at a place called Fikenca which is located in vancouver where I work. And this is THE bag of all camera assistants. They'll custom make any size or configuration you want. and it WILL last forever. In fact my very first bag was one that had already been passed down from two different focus pullers.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rob. One of my first bags was an Arri production bag and from experience using it I have to strongly warn you away from it.

it literally came apart at the seams. The zippers are difficult to close now, its no longer waterproof.

​If you want my advice, pay the extortionately large shipping fee for the modular 51 bag. Seriously.

They make them at a place called Fikenca which is located in vancouver where I work. And this is THE bag of all camera assistants. They'll custom make any size or configuration you want. and it WILL last forever. In fact my very first bag was one that had already been passed down from two different focus pullers.

Agreed. Pay the money for the mod 51 bag. It look more professional and will seriously last you a lifetime.

Hell yeah Matt's. I just bought your bag ;-)