phanton flex flicker

Joseph Zizzo

• Premium Member

other topics have touched on this subject, but i wanted to raise two very specific issues about flicker using AC power at 60 Hz, and using tungsten lighting with the phantom flex.

has anyone seen tungsten flicker at frame rates around 200fps? if so, what size lights and in what circumstances?

also, has anyone successfully shot a scene - with no flicker - that includes existing sodium vapor/metal halide, which be impossible to avoid in backgrounds? at what frame rates?

thanks,

joe

• Premium Member

other topics have touched on this subject, but i wanted to raise two very specific issues about flicker using AC power at 60 Hz, and using tungsten lighting with the phantom flex.

has anyone seen tungsten flicker at frame rates around 200fps? if so, what size lights and in what circumstances?

thanks,

joe

Avoid small bulbs, I assume 110v. The more amps going through the fillament the better so you can use smaller units than if you were in Europe. A 1K is borderline @ 1/400. 2K's will be no problem,Some Kino's with older ballasts flicker. As always test test test.

If you are in a 60hz power region such as the US, then up to 120fps you are safe. After that then all bets are off on these other lights. You likely will get away with the small tungstens at 200fps but I couldn't swear by it. There are so very many variants of non-cntinuous street light sources out there in the world, so I couldn't tell you.