Transformers 3

I have a lens question about this film, I think.

SPOLIERS BELOW...

Don't read my spoiler with your peripheral vision... fight the temptation.

At the end of the film when Shia and Rosie are kissing, Bay cuts to a two shot of them which is slight OTS Shia and slightly profile to both. This shot has a very close-focus feel to it, almost like macro close, but the image also has a "flat" feel, as if the focus plane it deeper and with less fall-off than a macro shot.

There is a similar feeling seen in some of the super-close slow-mo shots of Russell Crowe firing an arrow in the Robin Hood trailer.

Does anyone know how this effect is rendered?

Thanks,

RK.

Guest Matti Poutanen

I have a lens question about this film, I think.

SPOLIERS BELOW...

Don't read my spoiler with your peripheral vision... fight the temptation.

At the end of the film when Shia and Rosie are kissing, Bay cuts to a two shot of them which is slight OTS Shia and slightly profile to both. This shot has a very close-focus feel to it, almost like macro close, but the image also has a "flat" feel, as if the focus plane it deeper and with less fall-off than a macro shot.

There is a similar feeling seen in some of the super-close slow-mo shots of Russell Crowe firing an arrow in the Robin Hood trailer.

Does anyone know how this effect is rendered?

It´s the mutual love interest of Bay and Scott: extreme telephoto lenses.

To quote the ASC article on Robin Hood (http://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/June2010/RobinHood/page1.php)

We were up to a 1,000mm and longer. We had an [Optica] Elite [T2.8] 120-520mm with a doubler on it. We also used a [Panavision] Primo 3:1 135-420mm, often with a doubler.

• 2 weeks later...