Here's a new one: cinematograpy and dating

Brian Rose

Annie's actually a *Ginger* now Cap'n!

Anyway, Paul was the "chief perpetrator." And I never said that either of you were "stalking" her. What does the quote say? LOL Ogling and tongue hanging out. You were just the latter, and Paul was both.

Even if she ISN'T a Grace Kelly (with all the makeup, costuming etc.) Annie certainly isn't unpleasing to look at; no shame in it, certainly :-D (Watch, she is going to pop up here now and FLAME me for typing this, but I've already gotten in trouble twice in this thread. Why not keep going?)

Glad to see you again! Give me a ring sometime (PM me for the number. Don't want to hijack this thread anymore. Would love to hear how labwork, movie production is going. Had a couple of pieces of equip I was looking for personally was wondering if you had and hadn't any use for. . .)

• 4 weeks later...

I agree -- sounds like most of you have been on the wrong sets. I always found there to be an abundance of attractive and often single people of both sexes. At least the younger people were single, and that makes up a large part of who is on most sets. Which leads naturally to that next topic, "It's a Location Thing..." I know of countless hookups and flings that occurred between crew members off shooting on location, staying in hotel rooms and keeping odd hours. Some marriages were ruined by this, but also some were formed from them. Some good friends of mine met this way.

I met my wife walking our dogs in Central Park (I know, like 101 Dalmatians). Turns out we'd almost worked together on several productions. In the end it was good that we never did meet that way as we'd probably have driven each other crazy on set and never have come together.

I've learned to look the other way now, but I always considered it one of the great fringe benefits on the set to have so many attractive members of the opposite sex around.

• 2 weeks later...

haha... woman = trouble. sooner or later they want to take over. control you.

but i admit i would love to date my all time favorite most beautiful woman: lindsay lohan! :wub:

i LOVE her freckles :-) i would marry her for sure. *sigh*

but im a realist and just a regular noname film maker :(

Edited by Randy Tomlinson

• Premium Member

Sorry if it is not politically correct, but, objectively, quantitatively, I have worked with mostly lesbian female ACs. It's what I've observed and maybe your experiences differ, but I find that unlikely.

If I had to guess I'd say that I've worked with about 60 female camera assistants, 1 of which I knew was gay, and about 40 of which I knew were straight. As unlikely as you may find it, this is a much more common scenario than yours.

This forum has always been 90% made up of single men. I think I'm one of the odd ducks to be married, have two children, own a home, and have two cars.

The film industry provides zero financial stability, which is probably why 90% of the men on this board are single. Tough to be married with a family and having no idea when your next pay cheque will come in.

I have no idea how you Americans get by with no universal healthcare for yourselves or your children if you have them. Boggles my mind. I haven't been on set since Summer 2009, but I've had healthcare every day since then.

There's an old saying in our biz, only two types of people on a film set....single and divorced. :)

R,

At the top of this page, there was an ad "Meet local women, Date today!" - Oh No! The adsense guys know what we are up too!

This is a really interesting topic. While I am yet to work on a set that has "attractive female crew members" I have of course dealt with the cast members being absolutely stunning. I am a sucker for the "aspiring starlet" XD

My most recent relationship ended yesterday, and she was an actress. I felt it was both easy and difficult to date someone working hard to succeed in the same industry. I am of course VERY young, at a whooping 21yrs. My experience with relationships could still be defined as Elementary.

Edited by Rick Cook

To those of you who have stated that you are 26-27 and never had a girlfriend, I would suggest you stop wearing your Star Fleet uniform in public. :D

R,

Phil: That'll hurt your chances more than the uniform, to paraphrase Star Treik :-D

I got yelled at for wearing a Star Trek uniform, on Halloween, by someone who was too busy studying to know what day it was. I'd say that is even a step lower, being so busy hitting the books to know what day it was.

EDIT: But yeah, getting back to Star Trek, Halloween, conventions (to which I've never been) acceptable, jury duty not so much!

Edited by K Borowski

• Premium Member

How else is one to know whether a woman is an appropriate candidate for my Pon Farr if she wasn't properly vetted in my uniform first? Also, uniform never stopped Kirk or Picard from getting theirs ;)

On a side, note:

Happy Star Trek Premier Day:

http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2011/09/0908star-trek-debuts-nbc/

Martin, A, I found the girl for you: Guy Magnet?

She's a time traveler, who has probably already been chastised for breaking the temporal prime directive 15 years ago (woah, two years more than the gap between "The Cage" and the events of "The Menagerie"), but if you make a good enough impression, maybe she can return to the 21st century, having interfered so prominently in the Whitewater investigation.

Speaking of "TOS," the Southpark episode on Comedy Central today lifted lines in their entireties, liberally, from the episode "Dagger of the Mind" at the Tantalus V Penal Colony with the thought control machine and the Helen Noel character (another sucker, at least the character the actress played, for uniforms). Kyle even speaks the Shatnerian monologue at the end, and a kind of impish Southparkesque homage is paid to the soundtrack as well. I have, in no way, seen anywhere near 201 episodes of Southpark, but I've counted two full episodic ripoffs of TOS (the other was from "Mirror Mirror") that I am aware of, and many other liberal payings of homage to "First Contact" (the movie) when Stan's Dad smashes the glass case and yells "No, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" and many other tidbits.

Anyway, devoting significant portions of your life to devotion of Star Trek might not just keep you a real-life example of the 40-year-old virgin, it can be an artform as well, and help you keep your syndication contract with Comedy Centra :-)

Karl, you know WAY too much about Star Trek, 'course I'm more partial to the women's....uniforms:

BtSvwEGkKGrHqIH-CwEvpunMJmIBL77B3Dg_12.jpg

ilia.jpg

129042930819657054.jpg

As to whether or not Trek uniforms are chick magnets, I wouldn't know as this year for Halloween I'm going to be "The Mad Hatter" from Disney's latest "Alice In Wonderland",(Women dig the insane guys....at least a lot end up dating them. I always seem drawn to doing Johnny Depp characters, watch, next I'll end up as Ed Wood which will REALLY be scary because I don't have the body for tight angora sweaters). We're gonna recreate the tea party scene. It should be a blast. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

"I have no idea how you Americans get by with no universal healthcare for yourselves or your children if you have them. Boggles my mind."

R,

Well, this issue has been highly distorted and skewed by political propaganda. Just a few facts to enlighten:

Nobody is going without healthcare in America, unless they choose to.

I'll explain:

In America, there is a federal law, that no hospital emergency room can turn you away for failure of ability to pay.

So if you have a true emergency, you get it taken care of, period.

In addition to that, most (if not all) states have free health care. There is Medicaid, Medicare, MediCal - the federal and state welfare agencies pay for free healthcare - our poor in fact get free healthcare (and dental and vision, etc.), but since we don't pay for EVERYONE, and it's not called 'Universal Healthcare" there is this incorrect assumption that poor people in America have no healthcare, which is false.

And all the lefties who want the government to do everything the private sector can do, ignore, distort, or outright lie about this, and it's so common, that most people believe the myth.

Now, before everyone chimes in and declares me a liar, perhaps you should check it out yourself.

Here's what we have in California, for instance:

http://www.medi-cal.ca.gov/

So us not having "Universal Healthcare", but having a system where you share the cost with your employer (if you have one), or the government picking up the tab (if you don't), is more fair, because it's asking people who CAN afford it, to pay it.

Like my Dad used to say:

"There's no such thing as a free lunch." We're all paying for it eventually anyway. It's a matter of HOW, and WHEN.

And it's much MORE expensive when you are ALSO paying for the added expense of a gigantic government bureaucracy to manage the whole thing.

• Premium Member

Matt, I think you're basically right. What we have now is a kind of termite mound approach, no central planning or organization, but that may well work better than an enforced one size fits all approach. Those termites are doing OK.

http://www.google.com/search?q=african+termite+mounds&hl=en&biw=1680&bih=908&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=G-tvTvGAJKLt0gGnwcWcCg&sqi=2&ved=0CCgQsAQ

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Okay, this one is sort of outta left field, but one that has proven increasingly problematic for me. My own experience has been that dating has proven exceptionally difficult when pursuing cinematography, or heck, cinema in general. 1) the hours can be long, especially when you're getting started and have to "put in your time." When you're so exhausted you have barely the energy to eat, where you dream of crashing in bed, making time to pursue and maintain a relationship can be difficult.

And second, there is the problem of gender balance. Sadly, it is a fact that there are not as many women in our field. In all my years working, I've encountered all of one female who was pursuing a technical background. So while in just about every field, where one benefits from daily interaction with both sexes, where there is greater opportunity for finding a relationship, in our field, this rule breaks down. Not to mention there is the issue of professional conduct, and a line which many won't cross. For the production company with which I do a lot of freelance work, there is a production manager who I was interested in, but she let on early that she doesn't date those with which we works professionally. It was a disappointment, but ultimately wise, because if a relationship goes sour, it makes future work for the same people awkward, and if it goes bad during an actual production, all the worse.

Not to mention, there simply isn't time. Everyone is hustling around, everyone has a job to do, and then when the job is done, we all scatter and never do the twain meet. Our lives are very compartmentalized, and it makes dating damn difficult.

Of course this leads to the big problem of just WHEN and HOW one tries to date and build a relationship, if there isn't time when you're on hours, and when you're off..you're too tired.

Yet all that activity doesn't fill the void. It can be damn lonely coming home after a hard day, and wishing you had someone with which you could unwind about your troubles, to enjoy the evening with, to share a bed at night. I just don't know how to get there. It shames me to admit it, but I'm 27 and I've never had a girlfriend, and the number of dates I've had can be counted on one hand. For me it is more complex...I'm a bit shy, not the best with words or mannerisms...it's why I drifted toward film, because it felt in a way more natural a form of communication than verbal for me.

But admittedly, while my work is a solution, it is also a problem and I fear it risks becoming an obstruction, for the reasons I laid out above.

So to get to the point, how have the rest of you dealt with this? How did you find that balance between propelling your career forward, and satisfying the basic needs we all have for companionship and love? How do you maintain a well rounded life, and a healthy relationship despite the incredible demands of our metier?

Best,

BR

My managers when I first entered suggested I invite a young lady I had a crush on to a shoot. It has to be the right one though; exterior, on location, something happening; a setup for a stunt or something. Then grab her something from craft services, and take her out for a nightcap afterwards.

George: Now there are some team players! May I please have the names, telephone numbers of everyone on that camera crew, the ADs?

Matt: As a leftie, I take offense to your blatant stereotyping of my race! This has been going on since the time of the Roman Empire, calling us "sinister" "back stabbers."

There are plenty of Southpaws who are in favor of things as they are, though I am not one of them!

• Premium Member

George: Now there are some team players! May I please have the names, telephone numbers of everyone on that camera crew, the ADs?

Matt: As a leftie, I take offense to your blatant stereotyping of my race! This has been going on since the time of the Roman Empire, calling us "sinister" "back stabbers."

There are plenty of Southpaws who are in favor of things as they are, though I am not one of them!

Get your own dates, dude. :rolleyes:

The girl in question sat in the front row of my philosophy class. Man she was cute. But that's another story.

Seriously, a shoot is a lot of standing around, so unless you got some big names on set, I'd make sure she has a chair.