Q - S35mm 2K & Premiere CS5.5 (PC)

Raz Birger

Hello.

I am going to shoot some Super 35mm (4-perf) footage soon and I will be editing on a brand new PC workstation equipped with the new Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 . However I am quite not sure which intermediate format should be the right one to use for the occasion.

I would really like to get my files with ProRes 4444 (LOG) encoding, but I can not be sure how does Premiere handle it (on a PC).

I see there is a ProRes decoder for windows QuickTime, and as I understand it should make Premiere able to deal with it. Has anyone ever had experience with it?

I know I will not be able to export back to ProRes, but this is no problem since I only need to finish on bluray.

The other alternative is Avid's DNxHD codec, which only supports up to 1080p resolution. Well... I can live with that, but I do prefer having the whole S35mm frame at 2K resolution.

Thank you all in advance for any kind of help or suggestion.

Best Regards,

Raz.

• Premium Member

The ProRes approach -should- work, but I've never done it. If you did it in DNx (which I have done), I think the idea that the 40-odd more pixels would really add anything might be a bit hopeful: rescaling the 2K image down to 1920x1080 for your HD output might cost you more than it would gain you.

Personally I'd cut it uncompressed - it's not significantly difficult to do that now, if you're happy to throw a bunch of hard disks at the problem. Then all of these concerns evaporate.

P

Thank you Phil.

I am glad to hear that the DNxHD really does work with Premiere. How about exporting using this codec later?

Having 2K resolution of super 35mm 4-perf frame means 2048x1556, which is not an aspect ratio of 1.78:1, but of 1.32:1 (or so). This gives me the ability to crop it later exactly the way I want, and I am also going to crop the extra width pixels from each side of the frame, I believe such a slight down-scaling as you mentioned, would reduce sharpness and detail rather than anything else.

And John, I did think about DPX, but it would be easier to handle ProRes or DNxHD files due to their significantly smaller size, and if they can carry visually lossless 10bit picture, then why not? (if it is possible to use them)

Thanks again, and I would still like to hear about ProRes experience with Premiere on PC environment.

Best Regards,

Raz.

Edited by Raz Birger