First Music video

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

Really good first music video attempt, here's a few things that I think you should take into consideration next time:

Firstly, I'd recommend investing in a better mic if you are going to use recorded sound. Ideally you want to get a prosumer recorder (I use the Zoom H2, worth around £130 ($180-$200?) but if that's out of budget, I'd certainly recommend a cheap shotgun mic if you're not using one already. Rode offer a DSLR shotgun mic for around £80 ($120?) which would do, and it will also plug right into a recorder so will still be of use if you eventually decide to invest in one. In a lot of the earlier shots you can hear the shots changing because you haven't added an atmos track. This is basically where you record the environment for several minutes and lay this track under a series of shots so that you can't hear the edits, as the sound will change with each cut. The equipment I mentioned will help with this because it is better quality and more directional than the mic on your DSLR, however if you must use your DSLR mic then just make a 2-3 minute record of the background noise and lay it under your shots so it smooths it all out.

Second, some of your shots look great with really good focus, but some (particularly the wides) look more amateur. One reason is because the focus is quite flat, so you may want to move away from the action and zoom in to compensate, which will give you a more shallow depth of field for your subjects. Also, most of your shots would benefit from some basic colour grading, in particular, a contrast boost. Again, this will seperate your foreground from your background and make the shot look a lot more professional and appealing. It looks like you may have done this with some of your darker shots, or this may just be because you shot it in a darker environment.

Another piece of equipment I think you'd benefit from using is a fig rig. This basically mounts your camera in such a way that when you operate it, it reduces the amount of accidental camera movement (particularly tilt, which can ruin otherwise great camerawork). They are expensive to buy but if you look around you can make them for under $20.

Apart from that, just keep doing what you're doing. The video seemed to get better as it went along so it looks like you're already progressing (assuming it was shot somewhat chronologically).

Also I loved the song, so.. thanks for introducing it to me!