Rainbow bounce card?

Sounds like someone is trying to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. The stupid gimmicks I've made for DP'sand gaffers over the years is probably worthy of it's own post. Amongst the top ranking is a 20'x20 frame of BLACKWRAP that a 18k was focused into as a BOUNCE!

I'm sure that in someone's head, a rainbow bounce makes sense...

Part of my soul just died.

That would fit the genre of the film:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/287205/matthew_gratzner_discusses_the_betty_of_alien_resurrection.html

Could be the alien had been eating brains or the DP was just playing games with his "negative fill". It's under "Wow - I've seen it on the Alien quadrilogy documentary...." question.

That would fit the genre of the film:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/287205/matthew_gratzner_discusses_the_betty_of_alien_resurrection.html

Could be the alien had been eating brains or the DP was just playing games with his "negative fill". It's under "Wow - I've seen it on the Alien quadrilogy documentary...." question.

Wow!! Never did I imagine that someone would be able to find out what film this was on. I meant no disrespect to Mr. Khondji, while a 20x blackwrap made no sense to me it clearly didn't need to. I built it once and I would happily do it again...with or without a reason.

Another head scratcher is putting a Light Controll Device on a frame (eggcrate) and then adding diffusion in front of it...

Wow!! Never did I imagine that someone would be able to find out what film this was on. I meant no disrespect to Mr. Khondji, while a 20x blackwrap made no sense to me it clearly didn't need to. I built it once and I would happily do it again...with or without a reason.

Another head scratcher is putting a Light Controll Device on a frame (eggcrate) and then adding diffusion in front of it...

I'm not too sure of the effect he's achieving, perhaps is that you don't have a smooth surface using Blackwrap and you'd have a subtle scattered texture. The downside being you need a lot of light, I suppose it would be not so much "negative fill", more "not that much fill with some texture". Could be it gave the impression of light bouncing from the walls of the set. You'd really need to test some Blackwrap to find out.

Q. Wow - I've seen it on the Alien quadrilogy documentary. It had to withstand a great deal of heat from lights, as far as I understand?

A. Well that goes back to the DP; he had this idea that he was going to do this 'negative fill'. Usually you bounce light onto the subject with anything from white cards, grey cards, fillers, whatever. He was bouncing 18ks into black wrap. I don't know what he was trying to do, but he claims it was a 'negative fill'. It was so hot on stage that the model was literally melting! The heat was making the oil leech from the resin. When Ian and I were interviewed for the quadrilogy, we mentioned something about the heat, that was sort of the politically-correct way of saying, yeah, this is ridiculous [laughs].

[The Auriga] was not designed to resist that kind of heat. It was to a point, but it got so absurd that the model was literally melting because it had so much heat on it. It was un-necessary. There was no reason to have that much light on it.

haha wow, he was not happy about it. but 18k into blackwrap....haha At-least its a confidence boost to know other people do some weird stuff that probably doesn't work or could be achieved easier, sometimes just in the heat of the moment on set you don't take the straightest path toward what you want i think and you wind up with something like that, but heck it might look great!