Literal last minute advice on shooting 60D at dawn Thursday

Matt Stevens

Crazy story, but the camera expert who was going to help me tomorrow just left a voicemail. Death in the family. He's gotta fly to France. Sorry.

Ouch. That sucks for him.

And for me, well, I have never shot a DSLR in lower light like this by myself. I absolutely MUST get the shot tomorrow morning. It has to be tomorrow. Period.

Sunrise is at 5:30 and we want that magical look. Weather looks perfect.

It is one single ten second shot. Focus is not a problem for me and neither is framing.

What is an issue are settings to avoid noise. I'm just not proficient enough yet. Please, lay it on me, advice, anything. Settings I should go for, avoid or whatever. Tall order, yes, but hey, poop happens, right? :blink:

Canon 60D with a Canon Wide Angle EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Autofocus Lens. Shooting 1080p 24fps.

Thanks to all... :huh:

What is an issue are settings to avoid noise. I'm just not proficient enough yet. [...] Shooting 1080p 24fps.

To avoid noise, try to shoot with as low ISO as possible, and use 1/48 (1/50) shutter speed for 24fps.

-- peer

To avoid noise, try to shoot with as low ISO as possible, and use 1/48 (1/50) shutter speed for 24fps.

-- peer

Turns our Jersey screwed me. The trains were late. Very late. And we waited nearly an hour for one, ultimately missing the sunrise. We shot anyway, as the street lights were still on, but the effect won't be the same.

No idea if anything can be done in post to give it a more morning-like look.

I use CS5.