ACL Problem

guim ster

Hi,

I own an Eclair ACL 1.5 and it has actually a big timing problem.

During the last shoot i did with it, the frame rate seems to move when the camera is rolling around 24, sometimes more sometimes less. The sync light is bipping and the film shot shows a really variable speed when projecting.

Do you have an idea about that problem? Do the motor died? What do you think?

About fixing the problem, how much time ( and s money ) should it take to repair it? I've tried to find an other motor but it's not easy.

Let me know.

G.//

www.guillaumemazloum.com

Hi my friend i'm tony and i have a few ac1, And over the years i had to repair them. The problem you are having seams to be the motor losing syc speed. But do your self a favor remove the tripod baes and unplud the bloop light it will be the only 2 pin pulg in the base this littel light in know for shorting out on the body as it goes up in too the camera housing. and check your nhi-cad battery if one or more cells are bad in your battery it could cause the same problem. If your not sure how to remove the base go to my youtub sitetonyn24play)i have tons of tech vids on how to repair the acl.cp16.B&H 70 arriflex 16st and so on.. in 4 days i will put up a video on how to replace the shuter in a ACL.1 camera your welcome to e mail me at awphoto67@yahoo.com Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I own an Eclair ACL 1.5 and it has actually a big timing problem.

During the last shoot i did with it, the frame rate seems to move when the camera is rolling around 24, sometimes more sometimes less. The sync light is bipping and the film shot shows a really variable speed when projecting.

Do you have an idea about that problem? Do the motor died? What do you think?

About fixing the problem, how much time ( and s money ) should it take to repair it? I've tried to find an other motor but it's not easy.

Let me know.

G.//

www.guillaumemazloum.com

whoops sorry for the double post

sounds like you need to trace the source of the problem and eliminate what it isn't. If the camera is changing speed, start with the battery, verify that you have a full working unit with another 12v source, don't just check your battery, find another to test with the camera, for my Eclair, one of the first signs the battery is dying is the camera loosing sync.

Next try to spin the motor with your hand, does it spin easily, are there any hard spots in the turn, even if your motor is working fine, is there is another part causing strain on the motor, it could slow down. Try this with and without a magazine.

There are fuses usually on the ACL I.5's, unscrew it and visibly examine it for any sign of wear or damage. If the fuses is only slightly working, enough power might not get through to the camera. These fuses are really easy to find online or in an electronics store.

remove the motor from the camera and make sure all the screws from the attaching plate are secure. Also make sure it is connected properly so the small pins go into the proper holes.

If I had to guess, I would say this is a battery issue, but that is quick and easy to rule out, just try another battery. If you are really interested in another motor and are sure that is the source of the sync issue, pm me if you are interested in an extra motor I got with an ACL II, however, I would highly recommend you fix the original and keep the camera with its original components.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guillaume,

Indeed, it could be a battery problem, or a film-loading problem, or also a problem with old stock (the film was not stored properly and is sticky, for example)... So test with a fresh battery and with fresh film.

If the problem continues and you are not confident about opening up the camera, send me a message and we can talk about it. I'm not far from Paris : Bruxelles.

Salut,

B.