Sunset Shots

• Premium Member

I have a shoot in Galveston, Texas where I need to capture some sunsets over Galveston Bay.

Shooting with an Arri 2C and only have two stocks to choose from; Fuji 64D and Kodak 250D. Don't have the matte box setup or ND filters for this set of Schneider Primes unfortunately.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

• Premium Member

I have a shoot in Galveston, Texas where I need to capture some sunsets over Galveston Bay.

Shooting with an Arri 2C and only have two stocks to choose from; Fuji 64D and Kodak 250D. Don't have the matte box setup or ND filters for this set of Schneider Primes unfortunately.

You can just barely get away with no ND's on the F64D because the "sunny 16" rule tells you that at 50 ASA with a 1/50th shutter speed (which is more or less what you'll be shooting at 24 fps on 64D) that in direct sunlight on a clear day, the exposure is f/16, so you might get away with f/16 when pointed at a sunset sky, but not if you zoom into the sunball dropping on a clear day, in which case you'll need to stop down even more to hold color in the sun.

However, at the tail end of twilight when you still have a glow in the sky, 250D will allow you to shoot for a few more minutes so you might consider carrying a roll of that as well, but with no ND's you need the F64D for the earlier sunset sky. There's a lot of overexposure latitude with film so sometimes you can get away with 250D at sunset with no filters if you stop down to f/22-ish but you don't want to be stuck doing that and having to bring it way down in post.

Sunset skies can vary a lot in terms of brightness so you need some flexibility. If you want to be able to shoot into late twilight with one stock, then you should use 250D but carry ND filters. Without a mattebox, perhaps you can tape your ND filters to the lens.

Rent some filters. Are you shooting into sunset, or away from sunset?

If you've got a straight horizon and no tilting shots or subjects cutting across the horizon, see if you can find someone who has a reverse heavy grad ND