The camera that changed the wold

Brian Drysdale

For those who can watch it here's a link to BBC iplayer for a doc on the the development of the documentary hand held 16mm sync sound camera: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012tnml/Camera_That_Changed_the_World/

Centred around modifying the Auricon and the designing of the Eclair NPR, together with the film makers who used the cameras in early 1960s.

Dang, I wish I could watch this. I hope the BBC makes the iPlayer available in North America at some point.

Can someone please explain this--how can a "player" not be available in some given "area?"

I mean, this is the internet (the WORLD-wide-web), correct? I'm being serious--I don't know how this stuff works. And even if media can be blocked from certain geographic locales, why do it? Seems ridiculous and senseless.

In Los Angeles and REALLY wanting to see that doc.

Tim

• Premium Member

Find some sort of open proxy. Tor, perhaps?

The reason it's done like that is fairly obvious - rights issues. In the case of the BBC, it's paid for by the UK television license fee. This is very nearly a tax, and in enlightened countries like the US that'd make it the work of the national government and therefore in the public domain. In the UK, it would at best make it Crown copyright, which is a fractious and difficult beast at the best of times. As it is, though, the exact status of the BBC is somewhat unique, and so therefore is the copyright status of its output.

Ultimately it's the same reason I can't get Netflix. Although, in both cases, you'd have thought they'd be happy to charge anyone in the world for access. The underlying thinking is complicated by the fact that both Netflix and the BBC license content from other people, and releasing it to a wider audience would presumably be a big deal in terms of contract law. Or something.

But yes, as a purely practical matter, it makes no sense.

P