Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby to be shot with RED EPIC and 3ality rigs

Keith Walters

• Premium Member

From Inside Film (Australia)

Starts shooting at Fox Studios Sydney on Monday. (In 3D ???)

It's been a long time between drinks for the Australian Film industry, so I hope this can inject some new life into it.

It must be a lifesaver for Panavision Australia, because people I've spoken to there say it's the quietest it's been in their entire history. The mystery is how they keep paying all the bills and salaries.

It's ironic that their biggest competitor Lemac used to be the main leading light for Red in Australia, but they appear to have been left out in the cold.

It's also ironic to recall how many Fanboy posts there were over the years to the general effect of "Red will kill Panavision". If this works out, RED cameras may well save Panavision's bacon, although cynics will be quick to point out that this could just be the latest in a very long of video "magic bullets" that were supposed to turn the long-suffering comapny around. (Well, most of the suffering was done by its owners, rather than its employees). :P

• 4 weeks later...

Ah yeah, this looks interesting. I am really looking forward to what Simon Duggan does with the Epic, his work on Knowing was some of the best digital I've seen. But I wonder why they are shooting 3D.

It seems as though Lemac provided the production Red Dog with their Red gear and that seems to be making some nice money at the box office.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone else think that shooting 3D digital for a movie set in the TWENTIES is F*&%ing idiotic?

That's just a double poor choice. I can't imagine what possible audience he's going for. The thing has a (US?) $127 or 137 million budget too. It's not like they couldn't afford to shoot scope. . .

Not that Joe 6-Pack isn't going to go because of this (I probably won't be at the local multiplex catching this, even with a free ticket. . .), but I bet your average viewer will even complain about it "looking funny" and maybe leave with a headache too (one in ten chance, right?)

• Premium Member

"Hugo" is also set in the 20's and it's 3D...

Actually I'm somewhat a fan of making eccentric choices, whether it is shooting a small intimate interior movie in 35mm anamorphic or shooting a period drama in 3D. At least it is unconventional thinking... I'd rather see someone like Polanski shoot a "Repulsion" in 3D than see another "Pirates" sequel in 3D.

"Hugo" is also set in the 20's and it's 3D...

Actually I'm somewhat a fan of making eccentric choices, whether it is shooting a small intimate interior movie in 35mm anamorphic or shooting a period drama in 3D. At least it is unconventional thinking...

Aren't you worried it might be eccentric akin to "Public Enemies," David?

I think of that and "Aviator," when I hear of this combination. I'm all for choices, but this sounds like making a film noir in the '40s in a high key style on a Technicolor camera, with no rain and shadows on the wall, to boot!

To be honest, just hearing what they're shooting has given me nightmarish images of the latest "Alice in Wonderland" remake style applied to Great Gatsby.

Edited by K Borowski

I've seen some of "Great Gatsby" over at Warner Bros. projected in 3D off an Avid and I thought it looked pretty good. Of course the stuff I was seeing was in a very rough form but I still enjoyed watching it. Problem with watching 3D off the Avid currently is that each eye is only getting 1280x720. So there are all kinds of artifacts from this process. But still, even with all that it looks pretty cool.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Aren't you worried it might be eccentric akin to "Public Enemies," David?

I think of that and "Aviator," when I hear of this combination. I'm all for choices, but this sounds like making a film noir in the '40s in a high key style on a Technicolor camera, with no rain and shadows on the wall, to boot!

To be honest, just hearing what they're shooting has given me nightmarish images of the latest "Alice in Wonderland" remake style applied to Great Gatsby.

I have to say that I really liked the look of Public Enemies, except for the low-light shots in tight spaces. I thought the problem was the script in that it didn't pit Johnny Depp against Christian Bale directly enough. I was looking forward to matching of wits of two the greatest actors of the present age. But the conflict and pursuit came not close at all to what we saw in Bale vs Ledger.

I do have to say that I thought "Alice in Wonderland" was unimpressive in just about every way (considering the talent involved).