Baltar compared to Super Baltar

Hi !

What do you mean:

Is a Super Baltar 20mm or 32mm combinable with a Baltar (not Super Baltar, but 'old' Baltar) 50 mm ?

How is the difference ?

I'd likw to shoot on Super 16 film . . .

I'm not really sure how a Super Baltar lens blends in with a Baltar or even Kowa Cine Prominar lens .

Thanks

Micha

• Premium Member

I think you will find the FFD is different, the Super Baltar's can be used with a reflex camera.

Hi !

What do you mean:

Is a Super Baltar 20mm or 32mm combinable with a Baltar (not Super Baltar, but 'old' Baltar) 50 mm ?

How is the difference ?

I'd likw to shoot on Super 16 film . . .

I'm not really sure how a Super Baltar lens blends in with a Baltar or even Kowa Cine Prominar lens .

Thanks

Micha

Hi!

Yes, but If I use them with a Bolex Super 16 Camera or similar, I think I can use both: A super Baltar 20mm an a Baltar 75mm too.

The FFD is very small on a Bolex Reflex, because there is no mirror, of course . . .

Aren't there any Baltar lenses, which would work with a Arri 16 mm ?

Why you can find sometimes old lenses like Baltar 75 or 50 with a BNCR mount, if they all won't work with a reflex cam . . .

Michael

Somebody updated the mount on a rackover mitchell?

When the Blimp News Camera got a reflex mirror and became the Blimp News Camera Reflex, some of the original Baltars reached too far back into the the camera body. The solution was a lens redesign, partly as retro-focus constructions, to clear the lenses off the mirror. This was the start of the Super Baltar lenses.

When the Blimp News Camera got a reflex mirror and became the Blimp News Camera Reflex, some of the original Baltars reached too far back into the the camera body. The solution was a lens redesign, partly as retro-focus constructions, to clear the lenses off the mirror. This was the start of the Super Baltar lenses.

Is the glass similar to the older baltars or is it newer glass ?

I ask this, because I want to know, if the look of this lenses is similar or if it's different; I mean, the look of the older baltars would be a little more 'dirty' and dramatic . . .

What do you mean ?

Micha

Is the glass similar to the older baltars or is it newer glass ?

sorry micha,

I do not know that. I have a mixed set and have no comparison of same focal lengths (that would mean I´d have to use a non-reflex mitchell and a BNCR cam to compare lenses).

peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi !

I started a try to compare a baltar 30mm (BNC) with a super baltar 35mm (BNCR).

The result:

The Super Baltar ceates the impression of being warmer, softer (organic), but a little bit sharper (more fine details) than the baltar.

The Baltar has a more dramatic, darker and cooler feel; a little bit more 'dirty' and less sharp than the Super Baltar, but it looks more modern

than the Super Baltar (for me).

Is this result only at this isolated case or do you have made similar experiences ?

Michael

• Premium Member

Sometimes you find a Arri IIb or IIc, which is converted to BNCR - mount.

Ken Stone has had one for sale on and off for months on eBay. It's not currently on eBay so he may have sold it.

http://stores.ebay.com/stonecine

Being a camera he's selling I would expect it to be in top condition.

Sometimes you find a Arri IIb or IIc, which is converted to BNCR - mount.

What was the main reason this camera are converted to BNCR- mount ?

I think this cameras should work with older Baltars too, don't they ?

Thanks

Micha

The BNCR mount was popular at rental houses until Arri did their own version - the PL mount and that has now become pretty universal apart from the Panvision's PV mount. The ARRi IIb and LLC originally had a turret that used the 3 of older Arri mounts, which isn't as robust and by converting it also meant rental houses had the same mount through their fleet.

Stephen mentioned there could be a problem with the rear of the lens striking the shutter mirror.