Removing Moire in Post

http://vimeo.com/27173890

Does anyone have any advice for removing moire in post? I shot these cheap nylon bags and the moire is terrible. I'm not sure if there's a program/technique powerful enough to remove this.

Tried this free fcp plugin http://colorbyjorg.wordpress.com/plugins/ to no avail (sigh).

Also note, this is a static shot, the zoom was created in post. So... I'm considering creating a still and working with it in photoshop, then creating the zoom again.

Thanks!

Eli

Whoa, I lucked out and just realized I shot a RAW still of the costumes before filming. The 7D has lots a motion problems, but it's a hell of a still camera!

I'm still curious for future projects if anyone recommends an anti-moire plugin.

Thanks anyway Jon. I imagine that plugin works great for different/more minor moire applications.

http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26629A

I've tried neat video (it must be with a temporal window of 5 frames)/chroma blur, as suggested above, and it generally cleans up any moire that wasn't immediately very visible on the LCD (and if it's that bad, there's no cure other than superimposing a still image, as you suggest, or shooting the shot just a tiny bit out of focus, which can work fine, anyway).

All these solutions, including the one I linked to and the FCP plug in, do a wide-radius chroma blur and thus reduce color resolution and apparent saturation. Just something to be aware of.

• Premium Member

I'm still curious for future projects if anyone recommends an anti-moire plugin.

For future projects, it's best to eliminate moire in production. It's caused by detail that's over the Nyquist limit, which can only really be filtered out before it hits the chip. Use a real motion camera with a proper OLPF.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

For future projects, it's best to eliminate moire in production. It's caused by detail that's over the Nyquist limit, which can only really be filtered out before it hits the chip. Use a real motion camera with a proper OLPF.

Netting the back of a lens on a DSLR can help to tame moire. It's effectively an OLPF since its behind the lens and the relationship between the focal length of the lens and gauge of the stocking doesn't change.

Any of the stockings used in the past to net lenses should work. Personally I've been using the Frau's black LEGGS stockings and if I ever get the time (Ha-Ha!) I plan on experimenting with some of the more traditional stockings used for netting like the Diors, etc.