Sci-Fi Music Video I directed - Shot on RED MX/5D

Here is a sci-fi/futuristic style music video I directed for the Tito Deville Band. This video had a ridiculously low budget...around $2500-3000....most of which was spent renting the Red MX for two days (we got a deal for about $1200), a few lights (one 4 bank Kino, 3 Par cans, and a few other small lights). I did the editing and visual effects as well. This video was particularly challenging to make look good since it was shot almost entirely guerrilla style on the street with almost no lighting for the exterior stuff....and the interior performance stuff with the band was lit almost entirely with 3 par cans that had crew members waving cardboard in front of them to create the flashing effect, since the rolling shutter could not handle strobe lights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6fWS9nHS-M

Edited by David McDonald

• Premium Member

As you've correctly identified, the available-light night exteriors are not the strongest point. I might have gone for a crazier grade to get it away from orangeness. Otherwise, it looks like quite a lot more than $3k; as such, success. Parcans plus waving cardboard are particularly successful. If you hadn't said, I wouldn't have known.

Of course I'm sure in your head it was an enormous rig around the stage full of intelligent lighting, but I had to think laterally about it to realise that :)

The only thing about this is that it makes me uncomfortable about people not getting paid. You have more than the budget in extras in some of those shots. And no, I know, nobody gets paid on music videos. But in reality, they really should. Not a criticism of this particular show, just... in general.

P

The only thing about this is that it makes me uncomfortable about people not getting paid.

It's Canada Phil, we do whatever we please. :D

Well done video David, nice work!

R,

• 2 weeks later...

That's an amazing work for an "under 3k" music video, i gotta say.

What lenses you got from the rent package? And the Grips? you guys already have them? though they should worth more than 3k.. also the actors and fxs.

Phil, there's something called Ad-honorem, maybe is not common in US. But when it comes to something that's low-budget or for educational purposes, like all the students who can't afford to pay extra. They'd be told first that there's no paid, people still do that for experience, otherwise they wouldn't go, no one force them to do the job. And its a good opportunity for everyone. And of course, if that's for commercial use, they should get paid as the union suggest.

Only one thing that got my attention is that, when the singer enters the club(?) from the minimarket, it was obvious that he was "added" afterward using green screen.. due to the edges, lighting and color.