Getting film texture

Ramiro Teran

Hi Guys,

I'm using Sony EX1, I shoot 1080P.

Any advice in post (sony vegas 10) to get some film texture?

I'm not talking about lightning or DOP, just need some matte texture for some shots. Is there a plug in out there? maybe some tricks with what I already have?

Thanks !!

• Premium Member

Ramiro;

When it comes to getting a specific look, you gotta start it all in camera, on set, and then finish it up in post. As you've already shot, there isn't too too much you can do. If it's "slick," in the lighting and set design in the first place, it'll be slick through post. I'd see if you can find someone with the Tifen DX plugins, which is all the "Tiffen filters in digital form," which'll allow you to go through a lot of filters/looks to get what you need. W/o seeing the footage or knowing exactly what you want there isn't too much advice I can give. You could also milk out the shadows a bit, but that normally looks pretty bad in my taste/opinion.

• Premium Member

Underexpose. I'm not that big a fan of adding noise and grain in post, unless it's to match other elements, but noise or grain can be less objectionable than (say) compression artefacts.

Experimentation is key.

P

It is too late for your current project unfortunately. For the future...

I know of three plugins/solutions in digital post-production for low budget filmmakersd who want the "film" look. They are called, Super 8 camera, 16mm camera and Super 16mm camera. You pick one, shoot with it and then transfer your footage to digital.

If you want digital, shoot with digital. If you want film, shoot with film. Kind of like an oil painter asking how he can get the water colour look.