In your understanding "what is an answer print ?" & "what is a married print?"

An answer print is the first print that is sent to the customer for him to check the grading.

A married print is a print with a sound track (the sound is 'married' to the picture!)

An interpositive is a low contrast colour positive with colour masking which is made from a camera negative as the first stage in duplicating.

From the interpositive you make a duplicate negative. The same stock is used to make the interpositive and the duplicate negative; it is usually called colour intermediate stock to distinguish it from colour internegative stock which is used to make a duplicate negative from a normal or low contrast print or from a colour reversal master.

Quite often a duplicate negative is called an internegative but most labs would save that term for a negative made from a print as described above.

Brian

• Premium Member

There can be a first, second, even third answer print -- it's the prints you make off of the negative to find the correct printer lights. If you are talking about a feature, which has multiple reels, the often by the third answer print you are just making further printer light adjustments to a few shots on a few reels, most of the other reels are finished.

At some point, one of the later answer prints may also have the soundtrack added, what is called a composite print -- I guess "married" is the same thing, though I don't hear that term used as much in Los Angeles.

Intermediate duplication stock is low in contrast like negative stock and has the same brick orange color mask. It is designed to make duplicates of film elements without adding much contrast or grain. If you copy an original negative onto the intermediate dupe stock, the image is positive but with the orange color mask and is called an interpositive or I.P.. If you copy the interpositive onto the intermediate dupe stock, the image becomes a negative and is called a dupe negative or an internegative or I.N., though I believe some labs use the term "internegative" only to describe a negative copy of a positive reversal original -- a copy of an interpositive is called the dupe negative since it becomes a duplicate negative. But it's the same stock actually, intermediate duplication stock -- whether the image is positive or negative just depends on what was copied onto the stock, the new generation is always the opposite in density of the previous generation, negative to positive to negative to positive, etc.

The gamma (contrast) of the dupe negative should be close enough to the original negative that either can be printed onto the same print stock with similar results, though there is always some generational loss when creating a dupe negative through an interpositive.

• Premium Member
I guess "married" is the same thing, though I don't hear that term used as much in Los Angeles.

Perhaps because being married doesn’t have the same importance anymore?

Only fooling

A married print, the term comes from before WWII, is no more dead synch but only reproducable on a projector or similar device built for the sound-to-picture advance. As long as picture and sound are on separate films one can manipulate and adjust for synchronism in a theatre, in front of the telly, whatever. In spite of that, printers are able to jeopardise the concept, projectionists as well. Worst experience is what I am making today with TV. Sound comes before picture, and you never get more than cop-outs.

MR.David Mullen,Simon Wyss, Brian Pritchard.Thank you so much for the contributions.

ill jus take some time to clearly understand your answers and get back in this post. I must re read the whole lab process once inside my head,Just a few days time ill take. Ill better talk to my tutors and get my head cleared to know if i understood this answer properly or not.

• Premium Member

In Los Angeles, if the sound is on a separate roll, then it's called interlocked projection when run in sync with the silent print. It's more common in mixing theaters than at labs though.

The terms Married Print or double head when there was a seperate sound track were common in London during the late 70's .

I have to say that the term 'double head' has always been used in the labs I worked in as well as by editors. Also 'married print' was nearly always used although the term 'combined print' was in use as well.

The term 'approval print' is sometimes used in place of 'answer print'

Brian