”one-shot” feature film

bogdanovici barbu

hi guys !

i have this project coming up, it's a feature film that will be shot with a 5d (standard, not modded for positive lock lenses). the whole film is basically a p.o.v. of one man.

my main concern regarding this project is about the exposure. i'm having quite a hard time figuring out how will I control

the exposure if let's say the guy is driving his car and then gets out in the scorching sun then walks into his house etc.

the camera will be rigged to a helmet and i don-t see how i can awork the on camera controls..

are there any third party softwares that will permit me to remotely control the exposure parameters ?

thaks a lot guys !

• Premium Member

That part's easy: you would rig the camera with iris and zoom motors and assistants would control those remotely through a preston.

My question is how are you going to shoot a continuous feature film with a camera that has a maximum clip length of 12 minutes?

That part's easy: you would rig the camera with iris and zoom motors and assistants would control those remotely through a preston.

My question is how are you going to shoot a continuous feature film with a camera that has a maximum clip length of 12 minutes?

we'll just have to find a way to "blend in" the cuts between the clips and right now, eye blinks is what comes to mind.

still regarding the motors we' ll be using standard Canon EF lenses which don't have a aperture ring.

we'll just have to find a way to "blend in" the cuts between the clips and right now, eye blinks is what comes to mind.

still regarding the motors we' ll be using standard Canon EF lenses which don't have a aperture ring.

Well, Hitchcock did it, but it wasn't filmed in one shot. I suspect there'll be lots of issues that will need to be corrected in post and using a 5D is doing it the hard way when there are other low budget options now available. You'll also have to consider the focus when you're using a full frame 35 sensor.

Well, Hitchcock did it, but it wasn't filmed in one shot. I suspect there'll be lots of issues that will need to be corrected in post and using a 5D is doing it the hard way when there are other low budget options now available. You'll also have to consider the focus when you're using a full frame 35 sensor.

Well if you have any other thoughts on an alternative camera system, please share..

And a wireless follow focus will be rigged on the helmet as well; in my last post I didn't say

that wireless motors aren't going to be used, just that we can't use one for the iris.

Well if you have any other thoughts on an alternative camera system, please share..

And a wireless follow focus will be rigged on the helmet as well; in my last post I didn't say

that wireless motors aren't going to be used, just that we can't use one for the iris.

It depends on your budget, but a SI 2k mini would be ideal as a head mounted camera. You get less moire with a Panasonic GH2 and I understand a longer record time, you could possibly try a SONY FS100 if the size wouldn't be an issue, but you wouldn't get the moire and jello cam effects that are a risk with the 5D.

You could always go with a CP2 lens since they're very light weight and relatively inexpensive. Then use your Arri or Preston FI-Z to control everything. Should also look into using a Teradek or Modulus or some other wireless system for monitoring everything and judging exposure.