DP watches

Mark Hubit

• Premium Member

Could also be a gift; never know. Generally, when I had working watches, which is no longer, I preferred a Timex Indiglo watch, something water proof with a nylon band and lightweight and cheap enough so that when it eventually broke on set, I wouldn't be out a few grand.

I have certain watch requirements: Will not spontaneously emit light, preferably windable, must make a mechanical clicking noise in the dark or somehow tell time without the need for illumination.

Pocket watch or an older wristwatch seem to be the only devices that fit my needs. Smartphones not so much. Those damned things are dangerous, lighting up for no reason!

• Premium Member

I wear a beat-up, scratched Seiko watch that was my high school graduation present from my parents. I think it annoyed some of my crew enough to buy me a nicer watch as a wrap gift, but I only wear that on special occasions because I'd hate to scratch that up on a film set. And my old watch has sentimental value.

Every time I think of getting nicer clothes, etc. to wear to work, I think about how mad I'll be when I ruin it, because film sets are naturally rough places to be for clothing, shoes, etc.

• Premium Member

I used to have a beautiful 70s era rolled-gold "Electronic" watch I found when cleaning out a garage. I forget the brand, but it said it was Swiss made, a brand I could find no trace of on the Internet.

It used a large type of alkaline button cell which is apparently no longer made, but I managed to modify the battery compartment to take a more modern smaller type (LR44 or something).

This watch did not use a quartz crystal, like most "transistor" watches/clocks of that era, it was basically a standard escapement wired up as low-frequency electronic oscillator.

The really odd thing about this was its accuracy: The time just didn't drift; it was far more accurate than any quartz watch I've ever owned!

Unfortunately it began to show its age. First of all the time setting knob fell off and wouldn't go back in again. When the time came to change the battery (every 8 months or so, I would set an alarm clock to go off a couple of minutes before the time shown on the watch, so I could slip the new battery at the right moment to start it off again with the right time!

Then one day I dropped it on a granite benchtop and it's never worked since.

My current watch is a much newer quartz model I found in the same box of junk. It works well, but has nowhere near the class of the other one :(

I have certain watch requirements: Will not spontaneously emit light, preferably windable, must make a mechanical clicking noise in the dark or somehow tell time without the need for illumination.

Pocket watch or an older wristwatch seem to be the only devices that fit my needs. Smartphones not so much. Those damned things are dangerous, lighting up for no reason!

I use music in the darkroom ... with a bit of effort you can make play lists to any duration, and such as music is you know what 'time' it is ph34r.gif

No, it's a "look at me, I'm so successful I can afford to waste money on man-jewellery.

If you really know about watches you'd know that Rolex is not a big deal.

I'd rather Patek Philippe.. They have some of the most exclusive watches in the world

• 2 weeks later...

I use music in the darkroom ... with a bit of effort you can make play lists to any duration, and such as music is you know what 'time' it is ph34r.gif

I used to time my print development by listening to only 30 second long songs in the darkroom, it was a very short playlist (mainly hardcore punk), nearly drove me mad after many dozen plays.

Umm, since you generally have to hold a watch up to your ear to hear it ticking, I think I'll be safe :blink: You been around too much auto race fuel lately Steve? :-p

No, just too much stress lately BUT I'll survive it. I hope you know, I was just messing with you, 'course, that does bring up the question of unless you're holding a wrist up to your ear the entire time you're shooting, how do you figure out what time it is? B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly