5D Monitoring Question

Frank DiBugnara

I'm prepping a 5D and using a camera body I've never used before. I'm monitoring HDMI from the camera to a monitor I've used many times with other 5D bodies. Even though the camera is not rolling, I'm getting an SD signal postage-stamp on this monitor. The camera is set to 1080 24.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I'm wondering if true 1080 preview monitoring was part of a firmware update somewhere along the way?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I'm prepping a 5D and using a camera body I've never used before. I'm monitoring HDMI from the camera to a monitor I've used many times with other 5D bodies. Even though the camera is not rolling, I'm getting an SD signal postage-stamp on this monitor. The camera is set to 1080 24.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I'm wondering if true 1080 preview monitoring was part of a firmware update somewhere along the way?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

I've read that the 5D outputs SD when recording video. Have a look around http://hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/ for a more authoritative answer.

• 3 months later...

Looks like no one really read your problem, much less had a good answer. What firmware was the camera running? In standby mode you should have been able to see an HD image in the monitor. Yes, the resolution drops to SD when the camera records... but it should send a better picture in preview mode.

If you ever figured it all out, please let us know. This sounds like a frustrating problem.