Bolex Matte Box

Based on advise from forum members, I just picked up a bolex matte box. I bought it off e-bay, and it did not come with any of the mattes, or instructions. When I mounted it in what appears to be a logical position, the taking lens is not centered in the Matte box. Is this normal, or did I do it wrong? Also, can I make my own mattes?

Thanks

Andrew

• Premium Member

Hi Andrew,

On flat-base cameras the leatherette at the front of the base peels off, and the plate beneath is removed to screw on a slide block that holds the rear spacer of the matte box rods.

On round base cameras a flat base adapter (BASOU) with a built in slide rail screws into the underside, and the matte box attaches onto that. The slide rail can be adjusted for centering.

I've only seen the flat-base version myself, but it's all covered in Andrew Alden's Bolex Bible, quite a handy resource, especially for accessory info.

You can make your own mattes - the original assembly was supplied with sheets of acetate and black cardboard for that very purpose.

thanks for the reply Dom, and the cool tip about that book. !5 pounds post payed? Martin Luther would be proud bibles are soo cheap now. I have included pictures this time to illustrate the issue. The Matte box mounts OK, but just seems off center. If this is the correct position for it, it will make making mattes a little harder.

Thanks for time

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Glenn Brady

The slide block to which the matte box attaches fits Bolex H16 and H8 flat base reflex cameras, but the stop screw in the slide block is in a different position on each to assure proper centering. For the H16 it's located in the lower left side of the block seen from the front of the camera and on the H8 it's located in the upper left. Fine horizontal adjustment is done using the elongated holes in the block, as you've indicated, and fine vertical adjustment is done using the carrier screws in the plate on the matte box that's engaged by the slide block.