Fabricating a PL Mount

Alex Nelson

• Premium Member

Aapo, I was going to politely challenge that. The flange location in the axial dimension on the collimated lens being the most critical dimension. But with the tendency to undersize the dimension from the the front and rear of the mount, then rely on plastic shims to collimate... So perhaps you are right.

I have one PL lens mount that is a little tight in the port. Close to over tolerance. If Dom turns up here he may remind us that the PL mounts are machined minus even 0.1mm, to allow for the collimation by shims. And that is pretty easy for skilled guys, I seem to remember the lens projector giving the thickness of the required shim.

I was referring the outer dimensions of the lens part of the mount and what the individual tolerances control image-wise.

Basically the barrel diameter is important and the flange bottom surface position in relation to the optical center is important. otherwise it is basically just if it's too large to fit the camera or if the flange is too thick or thin to lock securely.

46687102122_08ff61855e_o.jpg

• Upvote 1