Key Camera Features

Guest Van Wayne

Guest Van Wayne

I am a student doing Short Films and Ultra Low Budget Commercials. I am looking for advice on the key features that I should look for in a camera? I am currently sharing a Panasonic DVX100 and looking for insight!

I am a student doing Short Films and Ultra Low Budget Commercials. I am looking for advice on the key features that I should look for in a camera? I am currently sharing a Panasonic DVX100 and looking for insight!

Do your research on codecs that the cameras shoot in, DSLR's have awful acquisition codecs but they've made the 35mm film "look" affordable. Also there are plenty of workarounds out there now - some better than others.

It really depends on the type of work you want to be doing, run'n'gun or the more traditional slower paced shoots.

Can I throw a bit of a curveball in here for ya, I'd say invest in some good glass, something that is gonna last you for a long time. You can always hire/rent a camera (esp if you're getting some budget). Companies like Duclos cinemod lenses - http://www.ducloslenses.com/Duclos_Lenses/zf.html will enable you to have a set of very good glass that won't destroy your bank account.

Imaging technology is advancing at an exponential rate, at least with glass you will get better bang for your buck in the long run.

As a student we had Panasonic's at my film school but I shot DSLR and have since moved to a Sony FS100, both of these cameras are not flawless but I have been very happy with the results from both of them.

Hope this helps.