I've been banned from Reduser.

Keith Walters

• Premium Member

I put up one post that essentially agreed with something Jannard said. Next thing the post is gone without a trace, and I get this message when I try to log in:

banned.jpg

I've seen other people who have been banned and when you look through their earlier posts, there's nothing that suggests they're a disruptive poster or a Troll.

Oh, well, no more Mr Nice guy :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

Maybe it's temporary, like for two weeks? Wasn't me and I didn't see your post so I can't comment.

Two months actually.

It's a really crap setup. You can't contact an administrator to ask what gives because as soon as you try to log in, you get the message above, and you can't get any further.

So if there's an explantory message in your personal mailbox, you can't read it until the ban expires!

Oh well, being so polite was affecting my health anyway.

At least I've got something to put on my facebook page :D

Come on Keith, you know why. You have been the world leader of putting in the most energy possible into slandering RED on forums. I am totally surprised you were allowed to even type in a username under your name. You see, its not your points of concern about RED products, its your tact of getting your haterade across on this site that has probably hampered your direct relationship to the companies site. If i was a betting man, i would bet that all top guys at RED know your name and don't feel they need to provide another platform for you to spread your over the top obsessive hate. You have a platform here bud. Keep going with it because i find it extremely dramatic and weird. Great entertainment.

And in truth, RED is most successful in marketing. Their site was an innovation in camera marketing, so it's no surprise really. If your company depends on viral marketing, and a few people keep pointing out flaws that don't help you market....AND you control the forum on which they speak, then I think it's not really so shocking/insulting/newsworthy.

I was banned a long time ago while pointing out ergonomic issues with R1....over and over and and over and over again (perhaps thats where I went wrong?) - At the time I drank the coolade and I thought REDUSER was a place to actively help their development... but its really not - they have the people they listen to - the original 10 or so people on their list and the "big name" DP's who's opinions they can quote in sales materials (incl. the site)..... and then the rest of us who, try as we might through their officially sanction forum, can only consume "information" and shout into the wind. Reduser is a bit biblical really - cryptic messages come from above and the underlings discuss, interpret and praise - usually futile. And it sells. So good for RED, they've taken a relatively dry and technical field and made it "sexy" to the average person. I can't tell you how many lay-people ask me "have you worked with that RED camera? What do you think? isn't it cool?" Obviously RED-tech hysteria has spread beyond the tight borders of our nerdery, so protecting their image and cleaning-up their site (same thing) can't be shocking at all.

• Premium Member

Come on Keith, you know why. You have been the world leader of putting in the most energy possible into slandering RED on forums. I am totally surprised you were allowed to even type in a username under your name. You see, its not your points of concern about RED products, its your tact of getting your haterade across on this site that has probably hampered your direct relationship to the companies site. If i was a betting man, i would bet that all top guys at RED know your name and don't feel they need to provide another platform for you to spread your over the top obsessive hate. You have a platform here bud. Keep going with it because i find it extremely dramatic and weird. Great entertainment.

Are you for real?

"You have been the world leader of putting in the most energy possible into slandering RED on forums."

I wish :lol:

The bizzare thing is, it's true I have been accused of being various other people posting on this forum, but, who cares: none of THEM ever said particularly derogatory about the camera or its manufacturer either. (And if you want to prove otherwise please do so, but actual posts please, not Borowski-style hand waving).

No! Their derision was almost entirely reserved for all the f*ckwit know-nothing never-was-ain't-never-gonna-be Fanboys labouring under an absolutely dynamite-proof conviction that this cheapo camera is somehow going to magically level the playing field, smash through the celluloid ceiling, democratize the film making process, allow them to showcase their effulgent film making talents to the world for the first time, dismantle the obscenely bloated plutocratic, autocratic, starving-in-an-attic (hoik-splat!) Hollywood Film Industry, and above all, re-affirm their God-ordained RIGHT to a crack at shoving their tongues down an actress's throat! :lol:

"I am totally surprised you were allowed to even type in a username under your name."

So was I. All I really wanted was a frame grab with Member Name: "Keith Walters" "Banned" and "Posts 1" (Posts 0 would have been better but I don't think that works) so I could use it for a signature here. :lol:

(I was trying to outdo Richard Boddington's 15 minute tenure on DVXUser, but I think they're wise to that now, since all the references to "That F*ckstick Boddington" and so on have mysteriously disappeared...)

"If i was a betting man, i would bet that all top guys at RED know your name and don't feel they need to provide another platform for you to spread your over the top obsessive hate"

Ah yes, but if you were a more observant betting man, you'd notice that I haven't been banned permanently, just for two months. Actually all the "Top Guys at RED" have posted here from time to time and have even responded to my posts, so yes, it is 100% certain they know who I am.

Anyway, Stephen Williams was also banned from Reduser, and he's bought an Epic, so what does that prove?

• Premium Member

Obviously RED-tech hysteria has spread beyond the tight borders of our nerdery, so protecting their image and cleaning-up their site (same thing) can't be shocking at all.

I'm sure you're right.

What I don't understand was why I was allowed to make 44 posts (not a single one controversial or confronting in any way I could see), and then have one pretty ordinary post deleted and apparently being banned for it, with no explanation.

Stephen was definitely winding them up when he got banned, but then Jannard said it was just a "time out". But it definitely didn't say that on the forum!

Guest Patrick Nuse

It's amazing how much hoopla RED has caused. It excites, scares, angers, ruffles feathers, and is loved all at the same time. It's a freaking camera.

And in truth, RED is most successful in marketing.

I thought so, too, but something changed my mind about that. RED's marketing might be great online, but it's seriously lacking when it comes to the "real" world, if you don't consider the promotional tour they've been on for the last 4 years. How many "official" members of RED "team" are there in Europe? And I mean, people paid by RED. Aside from their HQ in London, I can't think of any. Sure, there are LOTS of small rental houses and private owners who know everything about the cameras and workflow, still, you don't have a RED office in Italy, Germany, Spain, France, just like the "big guys" (Arri, Panavision) have. That wouldn't be much of a problem if there wasn't a side effect, and I doubt RED realizes how that heavily influences the perception of their company (and cameras): the people who promote their cameras in the field are not people involved in making the camera, most of the times are private owners, and unfortunately sometimes they sound like members of a clan rather than professional filmmakers. Even though I'm sure Epic can produce amazing images in the right hands, the perception of it, at least here, it's that it's another "toy for rich kids" from "people who don't understand cameras or filmmaking" (quote/unquote because you wouldn't believe how many times I've heard those 2 sentences). I strongly believe that the moment RED changes its policy regarding the use of its internet boards and their attitude, the perception of the company will definitely improve, but I doubt they will do something like that.

• Premium Member

I strongly believe that the moment RED changes its policy regarding the use of its internet boards and their attitude, the perception of the company will definitely improve, but I doubt they will do something like that.

The sad reality is, if a person confronted with the prospect of having to use a Red for the very first time, and they don;t know anything about it (which makes up the bulk of the industry, incredible but true!) a Google search is most likely to throw up meaningless post after meaningless post of sycophantic drivel on Reduser.

If they're very lucky, they might stumble on the pinned posts at the top of this folder, which will in most cases steer them in the right direction. The posts I wrote are based on the questions most people have asked me about the camera, shorn of all the Fanboy Waffle.

There is some good information on Reduser, but you would never think so at a casual glance. Quite a few people have suggested they should have a "customize" function where the user can hide posts under a certain word length, with an "Exceptions" function that over-rides this for known "quality" posters. No sign that they've taken the idea on board though. Probably because they know 99% of the posts wouldn't ever get read :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

I've only just realized that you were the person who started the "For all the RED-Haters" folder below.

I guess it shows how eminently forgettable you are :P

The sad reality is, if a person confronted with the prospect of having to use a Red for the very first time, and they don;t know anything about it (which makes up the bulk of the industry, incredible but true!) a Google search is most likely to throw up meaningless post after meaningless post of sycophantic drivel on Reduser.

Very true, Keith. BUT, at least here, and maybe because a lot of people just don't speak English, luckily people tend to run tests and pick the camera based on other factors and not (solely) about what they find on Reduser. These days, at least from what I can see, the main 2 reasons people here pick Red are 1) they can't find an Alexa and 2) Red it's getting quite cheap to rent. I'm sure that'll change when there's a significant number of Epic in the field (if it proves to be reliable), but it could happen a lot sooner if Red (the company) started behaving in a different way instead of having RedUser as the only "official" source of information.

There is some good information on Reduser, but you would never think so at a casual glance.

After reading those boards for quite some time, now I usually know which thread to read or which user to "follow", but frankly the percentage of useful posts and users is truly minimal. Add to that the "boss" posting meaningless stuff followed by crowds of fanboys, and it's easy to understand where the perception of the company comes from. And it's a shame, really...

• Premium Member

After reading those boards for quite some time, now I usually know which thread to read or which user to "follow", ...

That's the problem, finding the needles in the haystack. It's also an opportunity for you. You can save others the time and effort by posting links here to the good stuff there. Start a thread for that, maybe call it "Needle Exchange" ;-)

-- J.S.

That's the problem, finding the needles in the haystack. It's also an opportunity for you. You can save others the time and effort by posting links here to the good stuff there. Start a thread for that, maybe call it "Needle Exchange" ;-)

That's a pretty good idea, John! If only I had 56 hours to waste every single day!!! :D

Anyway, these days I pretty much end up reading only what David Mullen, Michael Most and a few others write, and if I have time I browse the Cinematography and the Workflow sub-forums there, sometimes you get very specific answers to specific questions and problems. I skip the Recon forum (headquarters for the D&D-like "cult" of Red) and "shot on red" (aka "look ma! i can shoot colour charts at 300fps) 99% of the times...

Quite a few people have suggested they should have a "customize" function where the user can hide posts under a certain word length, with an "Exceptions" function that over-rides this for known "quality" posters. No sign that they've taken the idea on board though. Probably because they know 99% of the posts wouldn't ever get read :rolleyes:

word

• Premium Member

WTF?! Sanjin Jukic is also banned.

Sanjin?! He must be about the only Reduser member with more posts than Jim Jannard...

He's not a Fan-boy, he's a frickin' Fan ... Arnold Schwarzenegger!

Onto other news, I wonder if my unexplained banning had anything with this post:

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?62795-3D...-SONY-SAMSUNG-AND-PANASONIC-ARE-ABSOLUTELY-WRONG...&p=816141&viewfull=1#post816141

Jim's been ramping up to his big announcement of the RED laser projector, and I wonder if I accidentally deflated his thunder :D

Part of my post is copied from one I made here a couple of months back, which was in turn based on information released by Kodak.

Quite a few of his "one line - zero content" regulars are asking questions that are all answered in my post; obvious where their priorities lie...

I find all this projector business a bit hard to swallow. Given that the best Kodak can do is a large and extremely expensive bank of 36 separate lasers, I find it hard to believe that a company like RED is going to make the necessary technological breakthrough.

The same o' same ol' 'twer ever thus: If they really have invented such a system (or have the rights to it), you would thnik there would be far more lucrative applications for it than video projectors.

I fear this will all turn out to be very like the RED one: A pretty ordinary camera with an extraordinary amount of hype surrounding it.

And for the 4,096th time, "4K" does NOT have "four times the resolution of 2K", it only has TWICE the bloody resolution!

Have you seen the casio hybrid projectors? Very cool tech, obviously in their infancy.... but for the size and output lumens, they are pretty incredible.. So perhaps it won't take an enormous technical breakthrough so much as licensing / knocking-off the breakthrough of other companies and repurposing. The casio is laser/led shining on a 720p DLP - they have yet to release a 1080p module.... but with clever purchasing and repurposing you could surely use that same light engine to drive a higher-rez chip. The limitation with the casio projectors right now seems to be signal processing - I've heard that with outboard color control they can be quite pleasing accurate bright and durable - all good things. Red 1 wasn't revolutionary technologically - it was a generational leap in cost/performance surely, but the "pieces" of the camera all existed in other worlds - RED did manage to bring them all together and sell the whole. All the elements of good and bright 3-d projection exist so perhaps you're wrong - companies like Kodak can only "manage" certain things because they spend so much time and money trying to innovate. Someone else may be sitting on the sidelines wondering, "why can't I take Casio's light engine and stick it on Sony's chip, and sell it as my own," or something to that effect.....