Powering the Arri 2C with a power supply

Jonathan Bel

Yes it's me again with my Arri 2C.

So I just looked into a 0-30v variable 5 amp DC power supply. My motor is a 16-24v CRA-6A Xtal cine products crystal, 2 amp.

Anyway, what it boils down to here is finding a way to connect the XLR cable to the power supply. It's a 3 pin.

Here are some pictures. Any bright minds?

post-49368-0-31556900-1316511995.jpg

post-49368-0-94054900-1316512002.jpg

• Premium Member

Three pin XLR is non-standard for power, and somewhat dangerous, because three pin is used for microphones. 12 Volts DC is more than enough to fry a dynamic mike. The standard is 4 pin XLR, with negative on 1 and positive on 4. 2 and 3 were used in the old days for 60 Hz sync pulse and bloop. As for powering a II-C, an ordinary car battery charger from AutoZone or Kragen or the like should be plenty good enough, and dirt cheap.

-- J.S.

The 3 pin XlR I have has a variable speed controller box linked in the middle and then it plugs into my motor. The XLR usually plugs into my 18vdc battery belt. Is there any pigtail adapter I can get for this?

If I get a connector like this, wire the positive/negative and link to power supply? will that work?

hmmm,

Wont a car charger be about 13.6 Volts ? - that cinema products motor needs apparently needs 16-24 Volts ...

post-49368-0-72308200-1316551494.jpg

post-49368-0-04822300-1316551509.png

The 3 pin XlR I have has a variable speed controller box linked in the middle and then it plugs into my motor. The XLR usually plugs into my 18vdc battery belt. Is there any pigtail adapter I can get for this?

If I get a connector like this, wire the positive/negative and link to power supply? will that work?

Hmmm,

Don't take this the wrong way - I'd hope youd give the same advice to me - but if this stuff isn't simple to you then best you get it done by someone who knows...

If the unit doesn't have reverse input protection you could fry it... Super worst case scenario is a fire :o