morning lighting

So im DPing for a small tv show, and there are a few morning scenes needed. Does anyone have suggestions on how to light this? we're shooting on 60d DSLR, have arri lights (however only 2 300's, and a 650) and also have 4 can-lights from home depot. We also have gels. The scene takes place mostly indoors, in a bedroom and kitchen and we may not be shooting actually in the morning.

So im DPing for a small tv show, and there are a few morning scenes needed. Does anyone have suggestions on how to light this? we're shooting on 60d DSLR, have arri lights (however only 2 300's, and a 650) and also have 4 can-lights from home depot. We also have gels. The scene takes place mostly indoors, in a bedroom and kitchen and we may not be shooting actually in the morning.

What are layout of the rooms? What direction are the windows facing?

It would be much simpler if you can arrange shooting in those rooms and set up before the sun rises (provided it's a clear day).

Edited by vargavision

There are really a huge amount of options to do this, as vargavision said it depends on the layout of your room.

one example if you are on the ground floor or have access to put lights outside the window then you can blast those shoplights in. since they will be a little yellow, i would use the shoplights for the simulated morning sun and use the arris for your indoor lighting. you can make the light "motivated" by putting your key light near the window so it seems like the light is coming from that direction.

i did a no-budget shoot that was supposed to be morning and we didn't have access outside (3rd floor apts) so we had to do all the lighting by just bouncing it off the window shades and by not always showing the window in the shot. I tried to use high-key lighting and really blasting the actors to make it seem like it was a very strong light source.

in this shot below the window is out of frame, but i think it has a bit of morning sun shining through look to it

2yn3q0y.png

this one the window has a bit of natural light shining in but we bounced light off of it to supplement and placed our lights all near the window (you can see one light frame just barely at the left of the frame). even though light was not really coming from the sun, it still looks like it is coming from that direction of the window. you can cheat a little too with the lights not exactly shining in the window.

54ufrs.png