angenieux 18-180mm f2.8 info anybody?

kevin jackman

im having trouble with my 12-120 lenses as we speak. see my recent post. i can tell you from going inside these lenses that the quality of construction of the old angenieux zooms is not near that of the switars. i cant tell water white glass from window glass by eye so not sure about the glass. but if the barrel was milled out rough, what does it say about the choice of glass. that being said i have a lomo anamorphic adapter which was designed for a projector that looks like it was built with same technology that counterfitters make ak-47 castings in the sand in their backyard and the glass is pretty flippin nice! at least the results are without 90% of the gripes most people have about adapters. except its an 80 so you cant use it below 40mm on 16's. and the multi coat looks like it was finger painted on at my kids aftercare. only around the edges though. oh yeah and it weighs 5lbs easy. im afraid im going to have to say this to you... and then do it myself. you just gotta try them out. if you can buy it cheap, you can probably sell it sooner or later. i know there are a few angenieuxs from that era people love. not sure if the one you speak of is one of them. mine are not.