Necessary Trainee Kit

I was just wondering what kit you would recommend buying whilst looking for jobs as a camera trainee? I am finishing my last year of University and have had on set running experience and an internship at Panavision London, so realistically need to get some more experience under the supervision of a focus puller. I was trained at Panavision to load 35mm and 16mm as well as set up all of their cams including the Alexa and Red, however, I am not sure what I would need to bring on set as a trainee to stay useful to the other members of the camera department.

Any advice on what kit I should be thinking of investing in? e.g. type of tape, pens, bags, useful things etc...

Thanks guys!

When I started as a Camera PA, I just brought myself. I looked around at the tools and bags the 1st AC had and started making a list on my iPhone of things I needed to buy(sadly I still do this WILL IT EVER STOP?). So if you are looking at ultimately moving up the camera department ladder you should acquire the same tools they use. I bought something like this when I first started ( http://www.filmtools.com/acjupokiso.html ) and of course spent hundreds more on other tools. You should also definitely look into a mac laptop for data managing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A work belt with a pouch on it are key, grab some 4 way pens, a black whiteboard marker (slate pen) and something to erase with (I use a piece of soft side velcro on the cap), a small pair of scissors and a notebook. That should be enough to get you started, once you start working more you'll find other stuff to buy. Have a look through your 1st AC's and 2nd AC's Ditty bag during some down time and find out what they have and take notes. Thankfully you're not expected to have everything when you start out so you have time to build your kit.

Here's a useful post from the Black and Blue about other things to stock your kit with

http://www.theblackandblue.com/2011/12/15/camera-assistant-toolkit/

Also don't spend money on stuff you won't need right away like a Disto.