Color space of 5D2 video footage - SRGB or Adobe RGB?

Mei Lewis

The 5D2 has a setting for either sRGB or Adobe RGB. I know that in stills mode this changes the color space used for jpegs but has no effect on RAW (except maybe on the embedded jpeg preview).

Does this setting affect video?

I've shot some simple test footage, a few seconds of the view from my window on a locked of tripod in both color spaces. The footage looks identical but I can't tell if that's because they're both using the same color space (presumably sRGB) or because my software is interpreting the footage correctly and using the correct profiles to make them look identical.

I've tried looking at metadata of the .MOV files but can't find any info for color space.

The reason I'm so interested in this is because I have two 5D2 bodies which I use at the same time, mostly for stills. Because the cameras number files in the same way it often happens that I'll get back from a shoot with RAW files with duplicate names which is a problem if I try to copy them into the same folder.

I noticed that if I set Colorspace to Adobe RGB on one body there's no effect on the RAW image but the file gets named differently,

_MG_0588.CR2

instead of

IMG_0588.CR2

--------------

BTW I'm definitely talking about colorspace and NOT picturestyles.

YUV 4:2:0

The 5D2 has a setting for either sRGB or Adobe RGB. I know that in stills mode this changes the color space used for jpegs but has no effect on RAW (except maybe on the embedded jpeg preview).

Does this setting affect video?

I've shot some simple test footage, a few seconds of the view from my window on a locked of tripod in both color spaces. The footage looks identical but I can't tell if that's because they're both using the same color space (presumably sRGB) or because my software is interpreting the footage correctly and using the correct profiles to make them look identical.

I've tried looking at metadata of the .MOV files but can't find any info for color space.

The reason I'm so interested in this is because I have two 5D2 bodies which I use at the same time, mostly for stills. Because the cameras number files in the same way it often happens that I'll get back from a shoot with RAW files with duplicate names which is a problem if I try to copy them into the same folder.

I noticed that if I set Colorspace to Adobe RGB on one body there's no effect on the RAW image but the file gets named differently,

_MG_0588.CR2

instead of

IMG_0588.CR2

--------------

BTW I'm definitely talking about colorspace and NOT picturestyles.

YUV 4:2:0

That's just specifying the method for storing the image though right? Like saying a still is stored at 8bits per color chanel RGB. It's not sayign what the actual colors are?

Or is there only one color space used for all digital video so it doesn't need to be specified?

That's just specifying the method for storing the image though right? Like saying a still is stored at 8bits per color chanel RGB. It's not sayign what the actual colors are?

Or is there only one color space used for all digital video so it doesn't need to be specified?

REC 709 color space

• 1 month later...