Bolex h-16 and crystal sync motor

Dustan Lewis McBain

i Just bought a bolex h-16 with a crystal sync motor. My issue is that once I turn the motor on to get the camera rolling i need to hold the cameras record button aswell or else the motor jams and my fuse breaks. Now that I've run out of fuses, does any body know of a better way to shoot without holding both the motor and camera button to shoot? Thanks,

i Just bought a bolex h-16 with a crystal sync motor. My issue is that once I turn the motor on to get the camera rolling i need to hold the cameras record button aswell or else the motor jams and my fuse breaks. Now that I've run out of fuses, does any body know of a better way to shoot without holding both the motor and camera button to shoot? Thanks,

You don't say which model camera you have, nor which motor you are using.

I understand that depending on which motor you are using, it may be necessary to disengage the camera's motor on a spring driven camera and to set the speed setting on the camera to 64fps. The electric motor then manages everything.

I think the best way forward is to check out the manual for the electric motor you are using. This should give you all the information you need.

This should be a basic starting point. As always, refer to the motor's manual if you have it!

1) Make sure the spring is fully unwound on the Bolex (this is just good practice).

2) Set the Bolex's spring from 'M' to 'O'. This 'turns off' the spring motor. You need to do this to prevent spring damage (!)

3) There's two shutter release buttons on a Bolex - the front button, and the slider on the side. Slide the slider all the way to the left - it'll click into that position. This disengages the mechanism that ensures the shutter is closed when you stop filming. You need to do this to prevent things from jamming up.

4) Set the speed on the Bolex to maximum (64fps usually). This prevents the Bolex from fighting the motor, and reduces wear.

5) Attach the motor. Make sure it engages the shaft properly.

6) To use the motor, you should just be able to turn it on and wait for speed.

7) Turn off the motor to stop filming.

8) Be aware you might get white flashes between uses of the motor. This is because the motor shuts off generally in any position, and sometimes that's with the shutter fully open. Fix it in post :) or call it an artistic touch...