WANTED: Canon Scoopic 200ft model

Matt Pacini

I've never actually used one, but I'm getting mildly irritated with only being able to shoot 100 feet with my "M" model.

Anyone know where I can get one, and/or anyone used one of these and have any useful info I should know about?

They look to be just an M or MS with the extra capacity.

Am I right on that?

Matt Pacini

Guest Ian Marks

Hey Matt -

Somewhere I have a copy of an old Focal guide that details the difference between the regular "M" or "MS" Scoopic and the 200' model - I'll try to find it tonight. What I remember is being surprised to read that the models were actually very different, with the 200' lacking a macro function, single frame release and having only one speed (again, this is from memory, so don't pounce on me if I'm wrong). If I remember correctly, the camera had to be tethered to a specific external battery pack which also housed the sound-on-film electronics. Without an on-board battery, the camera loses some of its "run 'n' gun" appeal, IMHO.

Guest Ian Marks

I found my 1979 copy of "Motion Picture Camera Data," which had the following information:

The lens is a non-interchangeable 12.5-75 which lacks the macro feature of the M or MS. Minimum focus is 3 feet 7 inches.

Shutter is 170-degrees. Filming speed is a fixed 24 or 25 fps.

Power requirement is 24v and batteries are located in a separate amplifier unit. Charge takes 5 hours and is good for about 15 200-foot rolls.

According to the book, "Neither camera nor amplifier operate separately."

Also, "Threading may be modified to bypass sound sprocket and recording drum when shooting mute but amplifier must be connected and switched on nevertheless."

It seems like this was Canon's equivalent of the Auricon Cinevoice, made for short television news gathering and interviews on mag-striped film, but not good for much else.

I used that model Canon Scoopic about 12 years ago. There was indeed only 24 or 25 fps. Also seemed like the motor was straining with the 200ft load-could have been a heavily used camera that had seen better days. It was definitely not a battery problem.

I'd stick with the M or MS - very fun to use run and gun camera. Only wish the lens was a tad faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like this is NOT the camera for me!

I wonder if anyone has ever modified a Scoopic with a PL mount? (or other mount).

I'd like my Scoopic even more if it had a CP mount.

Then I could use my CP Ultra Primes on it!

Probably impossible, and definitly sill!

Matt Pacini