Shallow DOF on EX1 on INT-NIGHT Scene?

Simona Analte

Hello,

I am shooting my first project soon. Im shooting Interior Night Scene in a bathroom. shooting it on Sony EX1.

I am not using the DOF adapters and so my question is, how can I achieve of getting a Shallow Depth of Field on the Ex1 while

shooting in a low-light conditions?

Using the ND filter will require to have a lot of light, I guess Im wondering if that would look "natural" on screen, blasting all that light when in reality the scene takes place in a dark bathroom? Any possibilities in post?

Any thoughts, advice would be highly appreciated!

Using the ND filter will require to have a lot of light, I guess Im wondering if that would look "natural" on screen, blasting all that light when in reality the scene takes place in a dark bathroom? Any possibilities in post?

The important part is how dark or contrasty it looks in the final image, not how bright it looks when you shoot it. The ND filters themselves just control the light levels going into the camera and would allow you to open up your lens aperture. You can also reduce your lighting levels by putting ND gels on your lights or using lower wattage lights, therefore, requiring you to open your iris.

Pointing out the issue I've apparently missed and then assuming I haven't missed it makes no sense wink.gif

There are more ways around the camera placement/roomsize issue than shooting in a mansion ...

Anyhoo, I was more pointing out that the camera has a DOF limited by its design - and if you cant ...

actually, shucks - motivation to finish post just hit zero

rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...