Anything new on the horizon?

Brian Rose

I know, kind of a dumb question. Of course, there's ALWAYS something new coming. The reason I ask is I've been waiting several years to get an HD camera, and I think I'm close to pulling the trigger on one. I've been reading up on all the available cameras, I've tested as many as I can get my hands on, and based on a number of factors including chip size, versatility, cost, I'm leaning strongly toward getting an AG AF100 from Panasonic, along with a CF recorder like the Pix 240 from sound devices.

But of course, there is always something new coming, and I'm not in a huge hurry. I do want something HD eventually, but I'm wondering if there's anything supposed to be coming in the next 6-12 months that you all think would be worth waiting for? Gamechangers, better price point, quality, all those factors. What is the latest scuttlebutt?

Thanks!

BR

• 1 month later...

Check canonrumors.com. Looks like canon is set to release SOMETHING in order to try and keep their place in the universe after introducing the 5Dmk2. That was in november of 2008, and since that time the landscape has changed a lot.

They are in need of a course correction, where they can keep stills and motion picture aka HD video production separate from one another. Professionals want the features and accessories to work in a production environment, and no one wants to go back to a small sensor now that we have seen how well skin tones and low light work can look. Canon wants to stay the sales leader in prosumer DSLRs. This next move/ announcement will be their response to these and other concerns.