New Eclair NPR motor

Blith Clockwalk

Hi guys,

I just bought an Eclair NPR with a new motor from ´Optical Electro House´. The camera has just been serviced by the previous owner.

When I turn the motor on the red light comes on but nothing else happens. Any idea what could be the problem?

Could it be the battery I´m using? http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=12+lead+battery+NP7-12&hl=en&prmd=imvns&resnum=3&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1216&bih=683&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9866602548677155624&sa=X&ei=2QaLTqqALoSl-gb75emJBA&ved=0CGoQ8wIwAA

It says that this battery is normally used for standby things such as security alarm etc.

6211138442_dbe43dd239.jpg

Blith

That battery will be fine. I've used a similar one to run my NPR, and I'm aware other people use those as well.

If only the red light illuminates then are you sure the battery is charged up? It might have enough charge to get warning lights going, but not run the motor.

Are you trying to run the motor with it fixed to the camera, or seperate? ie. is the camera not running and therefore preventing the motor from spinning, or is the motor itself not running? I guess from your photo that you're trying to run it seperate.

I'm afraid I don't know what the red light means on that motor (my NPR has a different one).

That´s probably it. I did charge it over night but I´going to charge it for longer. Hopefully it will be nothing bigger then that. Fingers crossed.

I tried to run it with it attached to the camera and by it´s self.

Yeah the red light is the sync warning light.

Thanks!

That´s probably it. I did charge it over night but I´going to charge it for longer. Hopefully it will be nothing bigger then that. Fingers crossed.

I tried to run it with it attached to the camera and by it´s self.

Yeah the red light is the sync warning light.

Thanks!

I did charge it and nothing changes :( Bought this on ebay and the seller said it was a a brand new motor. What to do what to do.

Any ideas where I could take it to be checked in London? Where they don't rip you off.

I did write Optical Electro House but havent heard anything back from them. Tried calling them but number on their site doesn't seem to work. (Very dramatic having a 16mm film camera :)

Edited by Blith Clockwalk

...Any ideas where I could take it to be checked in London? Where they don't rip you off...

Not in London, but in the past I've sent my cameras (Beaulieu R16 & Eclair NPR) to Les Bosher in South Wales.

...but having said that, I know Les doesn't do electronic repairs himself, only mechanical. Any electrical stuff Les sends on to a chap in the Midlands. Even so, I've found Les to be friendly and helpful in the past.

I had my NPR Perfectone motor rebuilt with variable crystal controls by these guys(Optical Electro). Oddly enough, sounds like you're having the same troubles I had. I disassembled my motor as far as I felt comfortable and wiggled everything around and turned the shaft by hand while applying power and got it to start working. I have since applied a bit of 3 in 1 oil to the motor shaft and it purrs along smoothly now. I wasn't impressed with Optical Electro's work or customer service.

Check out my original thread on the subject below.

Hope this helps.

http://www.3inone.com/

Here's my original thread:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=52556

I had my NPR Perfectone motor rebuilt with variable crystal controls by these guys(Optical Electro). Oddly enough, sounds like you're having the same troubles I had. I disassembled my motor as far as I felt comfortable and wiggled everything around and turned the shaft by hand while applying power and got it to start working. I have since applied a bit of 3 in 1 oil to the motor shaft and it purrs along smoothly now. I wasn't impressed with Optical Electro's work or customer service.

Check out my original thread on the subject below.

Hope this helps.

http://www.3inone.com/

Here's my original thread:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=52556

Thanks so much guys :) This forum is sooo awesome. I found out that it was the battery after all. It's strange cause it would show full power on my charger but when I took it to this electrical repair shop they said it was dead and tested the motor for me with another motor and low and behold it worked.

That's great news, enjoy the camera.

Thanks!

However there´s a new little problem ;)

When it´s attached to the camera it starts making squeaky noises which get loader. At first it blew the fuse after about a minute of running. Motor seems to have been struggling with running the camera. But now it just make noise, so far. I´m too afraid to run it too long in case it exhausts the motor or something. I´m supposed to be filming a promo next Saturday and need the camera to be working :(

Any idea what the problem might be, have you encountered anything similar?

Here is a video of what I´m talking about:

http://youtu.be/WMIVNXLQNtI

First thought is overloading due to binding, misalignment,

or underpowered motor.

I'm getting real suspicious about this motor.

Hi, forgot to mention that same thing happens with another motor I have which runs 100% so it´s not the motor.

Yes he did say it was just serviced. He´s actually a member on this forum, called Bill Santen.

I was hoping it was something as simple as adding oil or something like that.

Edited by Blith Clockwalk

I'd agree that sounds as if something is starting to bind (get tight, seize up etc).

As you will have seen, there is a rubber coupling between the motor to the camera body, so if the camera starts to get tight it is possible there will be a sqeal as the motor shaft starts to slip in the coupling. I also understand there is a second rubber coupling buried inside the camera which can sometimes age.

I would suggest fastening the motor to the camera body without doing up the retaining clips, this means you can run the camera again until it squeals and stops - at that point slip the motor off and try turning the camera coupling yourself by hand (make a note which direction the motor spins first!). The camera movement should be smooth and not stiff.

I understand the bearings in the NPR are 'sealed' and don't require regular addition of lubrication, having said that I don't suppose the original manufacturer was thinking in terms of the camera still seeing active service 40 years later without at least some regular attention ;)

If you're interested in maintaining the alignment and adjustment of the camera then I believe it is not recommended for an owner to attempt taking it apart themselves, so all I can suggest is what I recommended before - try contacting Les Bosher to discuss the problem.

As for this weekend, I don't think you'll be using this camera.

I'd agree that sounds as if something is starting to bind (get tight, seize up etc).

As you will have seen, there is a rubber coupling between the motor to the camera body, so if the camera starts to get tight it is possible there will be a sqeal as the motor shaft starts to slip in the coupling. I also understand there is a second rubber coupling buried inside the camera which can sometimes age.

I would suggest fastening the motor to the camera body without doing up the retaining clips, this means you can run the camera again until it squeals and stops - at that point slip the motor off and try turning the camera coupling yourself by hand (make a note which direction the motor spins first!). The camera movement should be smooth and not stiff.

I understand the bearings in the NPR are 'sealed' and don't require regular addition of lubrication, having said that I don't suppose the original manufacturer was thinking in terms of the camera still seeing active service 40 years later without at least some regular attention ;)

If you're interested in maintaining the alignment and adjustment of the camera then I believe it is not recommended for an owner to attempt taking it apart themselves, so all I can suggest is what I recommended before - try contacting Les Bosher to discuss the problem.

As for this weekend, I don't think you'll be using this camera.

Thank you so much for your help. I will try doing what you suggested and I think I'm going to send it anyway to Les. Also want to convert it to Super 16.

I do have two cameras and I'm trying to decide which one I should get serviced. You know if there is huge differences between NPR models?

Thank you so much for your help. I will try doing what you suggested and I think I'm going to send it anyway to Les. Also want to convert it to Super 16.

I do have two cameras and I'm trying to decide which one I should get serviced. You know if there is huge differences between NPR models?

Afraid I don't know - I'm aware the original motors supplied varied quite a bit, but don't know about main camera differences.

I suggest you speak to Les about it, he's worked with the NPR for years - both shooting with them professionally and servicing/modding them. He'd be able to offer far better advice on which would be best out of the two you've got.

Ian.