AF-100 Image Glitch?

Nathan Blair

Ugh... I just received that dreadful complaint e-mail from an editor with a screenshot attached. There are several frames in my footage with really nasty lines of artifacts!!! [see image attached] The room we were shooting in was hot... so hot that the 7D we were using was overheating constantly. Could this have been it? What else might be the cause? Just curious if anyone else has seen this or heard about it. Thanks!

AF100-Artifacts-ScreenShot.jpg

I have not seen heat do that to image compression, but it could very well be it. Particularly if both your cameras were acting up. If that editor is worth his salt tho, he can cut around the nasty bits. Sounds like a prima donna editor to me. It's not like you were trying to mess up the footage . . .

• Premium Member

With this sort of thing, you'll never know for sure. It could be the camera, the card, the card reader, the computer, etc.

Test the cards concerned extensively and evaluate whether you want to keep using them.

P

• Premium Member

Go as far upstream as you can -- the camera original cards if you still have them -- and look at it on a different system. If you're lucky, it's the editing system that's the problem. One of the virtues of a big post house is that you can try different machines to see if you get the same problem.

-- J.S.

Thanks guys, it may be the card... I was using a PNY 32GB 30MB/s SDHC, I've been using it for about half a year now so I don't know if maybe these have a short shelf-life? What's strange to me is that we did two other interviews afterward on the same card, and dumped our media after each interview, and none of the other clips had this issue.

Unfortunately there's no way of telling whether it was a bad data transfer since we didn't do a mirror backup on set... (a cardinal sin with digital, I know!!) I did tell the editor to re-transfer the clip in FCP to see if it was a transcoding error, but he says it came out the same.

And by the way Saul LOL to your comment, thanks for the support. In his defense, he was very cool about cutting around it... still not an excuse for these things to happen in the future!

Thanks guys, it may be the card... I was using a PNY 32GB 30MB/s SDHC, I've been using it for about half a year now so I don't know if maybe these have a short shelf-life? What's strange to me is that we did two other interviews afterward on the same card, and dumped our media after each interview, and none of the other clips had this issue.

Unfortunately there's no way of telling whether it was a bad data transfer since we didn't do a mirror backup on set... (a cardinal sin with digital, I know!!) I did tell the editor to re-transfer the clip in FCP to see if it was a transcoding error, but he says it came out the same.

And by the way Saul LOL to your comment, thanks for the support. In his defense, he was very cool about cutting around it... still not an excuse for these things to happen in the future!

Pana have come out with some so called {PRO} SD cards..maybe they would be a better bet.. ?