Super 8 cameras in NYC

Alex MacPherson

Hello everyone. I am travelling to NYC in a couple of days and was wondering if

there was anyplace that I could buy a decent super 8 camera. I know I can get

film at B&H but I would like to get a camera.

It will be my first Super 8 movie camera and I would like to have it when I am there.

Thanks in advance!

My advice is "Don't!" All the cameras I've seen here are hundreds more than their value at reputable online sources like super8arena.com. And honestly, there aren't that many sources. Even processing is pretty scarce. We have the venerable old Pac Lab but that's about it. It actually sucks considering we're the city that is supposed to have "everything." If you're into photography though, couldn't be a better city. ICP, The Met, The MoMA, B&H, Adorama, K&M, Fotocare...and all the STREET PHOTOGRAPHY.

Get your camera at super8arena. Shoot your film in NYC. Send it to Cali for processing, and then send it to Frame Discreet in Canada for your transfer.

Any recommendations for a first camera then? I don't need sound.

I love my Nizo 481 Macro. Sharp, simple, elegant design. I also love my Nikon R8, but it cost a lot more. I'd say find a good Nizo or affordable Canon. It's hard to recommend something without knowing your budget.

My budget is under $400. It is an experiment. I don't want to invest a lot of money.

For less than $400, you can easily buy on eBay the best camera and the best optics, eg a Leicina Special with a Optivaron zoom or a Cinegon.

You can also buy cameras as good or better for much less, eg a Zeiss Ikon Moviflex GS8.

Hi Alex,

I don't think you will get a descent working Leicina Special with good optics for under 400 Bucks. My recomandation would be a NIZO Professional. They can be bought in good condition for around 250 Bucks. A non serviced camera will sell for ~100 Dollars. You don't need any extra lightmeter batteries as the NIZO Professional runs on 6 AA Batteries. All commonly available filmstocks can be used and you get some nice features as time laps and lap dissolve etc. Its Kind of a Super8 point and shoot workhorse.

Greetings from arround the Globe,

Jan

Edited by Jack the Jones

I'd say Jack is on the money. The Nizo's are very good cameras according to all my shooter friends here in NYC. There are tons of them.

Also, sometimes deals happen. A gorgeous, tip top Canon 1014 XL-S sold for under $400 shipped last month and I am kicking myself all to hell about missing out on it.

For $400, you have plenty to play with. Personally, I recommend you buy a Nizo that costs $250 tops and spend that extra $150 on film stock.

I bought one for € 226 (≈ $ 305) with a Optivaron. eBay

Hi Joel,

that was a good deal. Congrats on that. However, if you add the Price for the overhaul and maintenance you will surely scratch the mark of 400 Dollars. But nontheless a nice Shot on eBay.

Greetings,

Jan

Edited by Jack the Jones

Super 8 Arena is a great place; Michael's a good guy. Very much recommended and super fast shipping if you go for the express- we're talking like five days to California.

But if you're in NYC definitely check out Duall Camera. They're pricey, but that's because they are a repair shop-- everything's overhauled and guaranteed. For $350 to $400 they might be able to fix you up with something nice and it will WORK ! An older Canon maybe.

For a newcomer I'd avoid eBay like the plague-- way too much junk out there now, with no assurance that it will run. Much grief. Stick with Duall-- you're in luck to be there.

You might want to visit some of the local film schools too and ask around.

I purchased two Canon 814's two years ago and they both shot a single roll and then died. I paid like $5 each for them.

Then I purchased a Nikon R10 for around $300 and it was mint. Shot the poop out of this year and when I ran out of money to do post on my short film, Miscommunications, I sold it on eBay for around $350.

Just last night I purchased another Nikon R10 on eBay that looks to be tip top for $240 with shipping. Fingers crossed.

To buy on eBay you need to know what questions to ask and the seller needs to be willing to do the tests and understand the camera a bit. If not, don't buy.

The guys at Duall are VERY nice. I like them. But again, pricey.

Alex just needs to weigh his options and do what he thinks is best.

Oh yes... Only Kodak makes Super8 film, unless you wish to purchase from Pro8mm, which I do not recommend.

Alex,

If you just want to shoot you could possibly use one of my very nice, serviced cameras instead of shelling out cash on one.

Also, is Kodak going under? Their stock dipped, but has more than tripled since last month.

Best,

Josh