First reel

Hi all,

I am 16 years old aspiring cinematographer based outside of L.A and I just finished my first reel ever. Its kind of like a double reel because on all of these projects I worked with the same director and we are kind of like partners so we just merged it together. All shot on DSLR's and no other formats :(

Any feedback would be great

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Your stuff doesn't look bad, it's just that it all looks the same. I'm seeing a lot of footage from what I would guess are teen dramas and not much of anything else. If you're only 16, then I'd say you're off to a good start, but in the near future you'll want to expand your subject matter to include something besides teen dramas.

Also, there are a few shots that are noticeably squished (three shots beginning at 1:09, one at 1:44 and one at 2:00). You'll want to fix that as the bring down the rest of the reel.

Lastly, unless Gigi Bigs is an actual company and not just a name that you put in the opening credits of your movies, you'll want to take that off. Every high school and college student with a video camera makes up a name for their fake production company. It's a sure sign of an amateur when you start plastering the name of your fake production company on things. While you're at it, remove the director's name too. You've made a cinematography reel, not a director's reel. It doesn't tell me anything about the director's work, so there's no reason for his name to be on there. If your director feels he needs a reel (though if I were hiring a director, I'd want to see full examples of his or her work, not a reel), it should be something separate from a cinematography reel. Combining them does a disservice to both.